c h a p t e r 13: Groove On

Parte after Parte!!!

Christmas Eve update because I love you guys and I really wanna get over with this book. Merry Christmas everyone, even though this is the most 'unChristmas' Christmas ever.

——
Beverly

It's Friday night, and everyone knows what happens on a Friday night. Parte after parte. Clara had called me a few minutes ago to tell me she was downstairs. She took an Uber down to my house and even if I'm half ready right now, I'm racing down the stairs so I can drag her upstairs with me and not feel lost on the makeup theme, and also get her opinion on my outfit because the girl is a born stylist.

I look from the stair railing and there she is, beautifully dressed in a simple white spaghetti strap shirt tucked in light blue jeans with a fanny pack around her waist, her feet adorned in a pair of white sneakers, and her butt-length extension braids is in a ponytail with nicely laid edges. Her makeup is bright, the yellow and red eyeshadow is professionally done with tiny sparkling stones around her eyelids and some part of her face.

She's occupying a sofa opposite Zayyad who's conversing with her and also working on the laptop that rests on his thighs, his deep voice is what fills the air, and her light laughter backs it up—he probably told a joke. Charmer, pfft.

"What's up, girl?!" I enthusiastically say when I get to the living room, cutting short her conversation with Zayyad. She looks in my direction, stands on her feet and hugs me. "You look good," I admire, twirling her.

"Thank you," She dances with a grin. "You know we're gonna be late with you like this, you're not even dressed," She says, referring to my robe and hair bonnet as she scans me from head to toe.

"I don't take forever to get dressed, in twenty minutes I'll be done, you'll see," I tell her, grabbing her hands and heading for the stairs.

"You act like I don't know you," She sneers as we climb the stairs. "later, Zayyad!" She seductively says, not getting a reply from him.

"So you're in no way attracted to him?"

We're now in my room. I'm already fully dressed and just doing some last minute touch up to my outfit and makeup which Clara had helped me with.

"I mean, I wouldn't say no. He's good looking, true, but he's family, and I'm no slut," I answer, brushing my wig which falls down my back.

"Well, he's not your brother, plus who says being attracted to your brother's friend makes you a slut?"

"This one is family,"

"Thank God you've family zoned him, because this guy is hot, beautiful, fine, handsome, all the positive words. I like him,"

My heart skips two beats and I don't know when I exclaim, "Clara!"

"Be Clara-ing me there. I like him, his aura, everything. Thank God I have his number, I hope–"

I suddenly zone out of the conversation, only seeing her mouth moving but I can't get a thing in my head. She has his number? I feel a pinch in my heart.

I zone back in. "You have his number?"

She hesitates for a second. "No, a girl's got class. I'm going to get it from you, I didn't wanna ask him. With you, I already have his number, so, thank God."

Surprisingly, I heave an inaudible sigh of relief.

"What makes it better is he's my spec... God, I'm finally going to leave this single lane," She enthusiastically says.