"Are you glad we did?" Winter asked coyly. 

"Of course, but I regret not trying harder to contact you and not being there for you while you had to undergo two traumatic events in your life, without me by your side. I think you have done an amazing job getting through your father's death and coping with the grief of the miscarriage as well." Dan said, pushing her hair back from her shoulder and gently rubbing her arm, his fingers tracing invisible love hearts on her skin. 

"It was hard, at the same time I had to cope with the media pressure of my failed engagement, and of course the newspapers ran the story of dad's accident in the Sydney to Hobart race, which lead to me not wanting to do television anymore. I think I like the reclusive nature of writing." Winter confessed. 

"Have you got any other regrets?" Winter asked Dan. 

"I regret not having a baby with you and not having you waking up beside me in my bed every day. I regret not having the inner strength to get back to writing.." Dan's jaw was tight with sadness he was trying to hold inside.  

"Maybe it's not too late for those things." Winter responded, quietly, turning around to face Dan. She saw his eyes were full of light and joy and hope. Maybe she could change at least one of his regrets and hers too. Although they couldn't change their past mistakes, they had the power to influence the future. This time when they made love it was slower, more poignant and Winter knew without a doubt that they were embarking on a new life together. A life with no regrets, no lost opportunities and maybe a second chance to be parents. This time they would be together and nothing would part them. As the evening wore on the storm abated and they were surrounded by the gentle lapping of the waves and the creaking of the branches, like arthritic limbs. They dozed on and off and talked for hours. At one point in the dead of night, Winter opened her eyes and murmured to Dan, "Am I dreaming, or are you really here beside me? If I am dreaming, I never want to wake up!"  

"You are in my dreams and in my arms and that's how I want it to be everyday." Dan replied. His jaw was already stubbly and his body was stiff but the feeling of having Winter in his arms was worth any hardship. Eventually, before the sun rose, they decided to leave their secret idyll and return to their rooms, in case the staff of the Hotel noticed their rooms were empty. Winter stood up and stretched, as much as she could in the confined space. Neither of them wanted to leave each other or their cozy place. Both of them were afraid of what lay ahead and how they were going to manage to keep seeing each other and still keep it secret from their colleagues, but they reluctantly climbed back down the ladder and walked arm in arm through the garden, listening to the awakening sounds of the birds. They kissed passionately for the final time, neither one knowing how or when they would set eyes on each other again. Slowly they crept back into the Hotel stopping in the hallway to kiss again before returning to their separate rooms. Unfortunately Veronique rounded the corner and caught them locked in their passionate embrace. "Dan! I 'ave been searching the 'otel for you all night, and now I know what you 'ave been up to! How dare you flaunt this gold-digging tramp in my face!" Veronique shrieked, moving closer to grab Dan's arm. "Leave my 'usband alone he belongs to me!" she reached out a manicured hand to touch Dan's cheek in a wifely gesture, but he flinched away, as if her touch burnt his skin. Veronique wouldn't give up her pursuit to make Winter jealous, so she coaxed him further, "I am wearing your favourite negligee, Dan, the one you nearly ripped off me on our wedding night." She batted her eyelashes and pushed out her chest to reveal her cleavage. Winter had frozen to the spot, she didn't know whether to try and compete with Veronique in her game or to walk away and capitulate. Dan's jaw was set firm, his lips were closed in a tight line of anger and his eyes blazed. "Don't you play your games with me, Veronique, you know you won't win. I told you we are over and there is nothing you can do to change that." He spoke to her this time in English, for the benefit of Winter. "You won't get away from me that easily, Dan", Veronique spat, her eyes narrowed and flashing shards of diamonds at them. "I will make you pay Dan, I can destroy everything you have worked so hard for!" Veronique used hand gestures and then a torrid round of French words before flouncing off to leave them finally in peace.