Until Next Time - Part 18

Evgenia stretched her neck, rubbing it as she thought deeply about what Minerva told her and Momoko.

That was a lot of information that was just told to her.

"Evie," Momoko turned to the witch, "What do you say we should do?"

"Um," Evgenia scratched her head, "I think we should just head back to the inn and recollect there."

That did sound nice.

...

Victor was silent, something Evgenia wasn't sure he could be. Her brother was quietly brooding, caught in his own inner turmoil. There was something on his mind but Evgenia didn't know how to confront him about it.

While the crew were back in their inn room, Evgenia went straight to their desk. She looked over their books, pouting at the unopened journal that used to belong to their parents.

At the end of the day... they still didn't get that far.

The book was still unopened. A book containing secrets. Would those secrets be worth discovering? Evgenia wasn't sure anymore.

Speaking of which, how did the others get kidnapped when Evgenia was gone?

When asking them, Minerva explained that a sudden spark of light lit up in the room. Suddenly, that spark turned into a ring of gleaming light. It widened, opening to an image of trees.

Before they could think of what was happening, the crew was dragged into the circle. Next thing they knew, they were trapped in a magical bubble.

"It was really weird," Bella said, recounting it all, "It was like we were teleported but not at the same time."

Evgenia frowned, her hands automatically picking up a spell book. A circle of light that led to another place?

Flipping through the pages, Evgenia couldn't find what it was. So she threw the book away and searched through another one.

Finally, she found something.

It was exactly how they described it.

"A portal," Evgenia muttered, amazed at what shew as reading.

Adva plopped onto the bed, quirking their head in curiosity, "A portal? Spells like that exists?"

"I thought those weren't real, just children's tales," Minerva said. She remembered her parents telling her and her sister when they were younger about powerful witches using portals to travel the world. Of course, they usually went along with fairy tales and myths.

Evgenia herself didn't think they were real. Her parents had told her the moment she wa starting to learn teleporting, that portals were a lost method of magic. No mage had ever learned how to make a portal for centuaries.

The spellwork had been lost in past wars of Lenaria.

All that exists are rumors and myths of portals.

It was a shame. Portals were so much more easier to do than teleportation spells.

Unlike teleportations that required the user to know their designated area, portals could go anywhere, even to unmarked land. And portals only took magical energy as long as it's opened, meaning if a portal is opened only for a few seconds than the user doesn't suffer a lot of loss of energy. It also allowed a larger transport of people to go through.

To think there was someone out there who knew how to make portals.

Evgenia looked at the journal, the glowing book was shimmering.