Promise - Part 6

"What do you mean you can't do the spell?" Minerva pushed her way to the front, crawling over Omis' leg. The knight scratched her head, confused just as much as Evgenia. "Maybe you're just tired?"

No, that couldn't be it. Evgenia had plenty of sleep.

Evgenia hands shook as she looked down at them. The witch couldn't understand what happened. She... couldn't do a spell. A spell she's done so many times before.

Momoko snapped her fingers, a red spark exploded from them. The spirit shook her head, "I could do magic, so it's definitely not the area."

Such a simple spell for Evgenia... Victor could see the absolute horror on her face. He's never seen his sister like this before. A normal person may think Evgenia is overreacting but... the crew knew how important this was.

For Evgenia, magic was everything. She was amazing at it. For her to fail at a spell like this? It felt so wrong.

Omis leaned over, nudging his nose against Evgenia's arm. The witch tugged on her jacket, feeling chills on her body.

Evgenia closed her eyes, racking her brain for an explanation. Anything.

Then it hit her.

The reason why she couldn't teleport. How could she be such an idiot...

Evgenia groaned, slapping her forehead in annoyance. Cursing loudly, Evgenia sighed, "I totally forgot-"

"Forgot? Forgot what?" Bella asked.

Evgenia dragged her hand down her face, "Victor, doesn't our home have a lock spell on it?"

Victor tapped his chin, frowning as he tried to recall his home. A light turned on in his head, he clapped his hands, "Of course! How could we forget!"

The others shared a very confused look. "Care to explained?" Minerva said.

The siblings turned to the others. Evgenia explained, "Our parents put a lock spell on the house."

"A lock spell is self-explanatory. It's a type of enchantment that keeps things locked, closed, or sealed away," Victor added, "And because it's an enchantment, witches are able to adjust the spell in anyway they want."

"In our case," Evgenia finished off, "Our parents put a lock spell on the house that way no one could teleport in or out of the house. It was a way so that intruders wouldn't come in via teleportation... And because I might've done more teleporting around the house than actual walking."

The lock spell had been put on the house for as long as the siblings could remember. But it was only when Evgenia was in isolation that they place an anti-teleporting spell inside the house as well.

"So," Adva muttered, "Evgenia's didn't fail a spell?"

"No, my magic was just blocked, that's all."

It relieved Evgenia a bit to know she didn't fail a spell at all. But... that means they would need to find another way to get to their home. 

They still didn't want to go through the borders, it was a death trap there.

If they went through Scarabi, then it'd take longer than they'd want.

Teleporting straight to the house was all Evgenia could think of. What other possibility was there?

"Maybe," Momoko said after a moment of silence, "We could still teleport?"

Evgenia looked back at her, confused. "Did I just say my parent's home had a lock spell on it?"

"Well," Momoko twiddled her fingers, ears twitching as she explained her idea, "What if we... teleported somewhere else? Somewhere close to your home?"