Chapter Seven: The Wolves

Start from the beginning

"What makes me different?" I asked them, self conscious. Was I some sort of freak?

"It doesn't make you a freak, Jace. It's like a super power. You can manipulate the way I respond to you. You were playing to win, so your thoughts made it so. It was harder to read your next move because of the way your thoughts manipulated mine, it's as if it made me want to let you win."

"That could be incredibly useful, especially in a position of defense." Carlilse commented.

"In a position of defense? As in fighting?" I asked.

"Precisely." Edward responded, smiling. I ignored his attempt at a lighter air, still irritated with him from our earlier conversation.

"How would that work?" I asked, still not quite getting it.

"We both had an advantage, which I didn't expect. I thought I would win with no effort, with my being able to read your thoughts. But it was the opposite. Your thoughts invaded mine, and I caught myself letting you win because of what you were thinking: you were trying to win. So in a fight, if you're trying to defend yourself, your thoughts make the other person want to lose, because that's what you want." He finished explaining, knowing I understood now.

"So you're basically saying I can manipulate someone's thoughts just by thinking about what I want?"

"I suppose you could think of it that way, even though it's more complicated than that. In a regular conversation, not really. But your thoughts were being projected at me, and that's how it affected your success. So in order to manipulate the other person's thoughts, you have to direct it towards them."

"But how? How would this be my gift? How can you read thoughts? What causes it?"

"My theory is that a gift reflects your human life. Edward was always sensitive to other's thoughts, so he can read minds. Jasper was always intuitive, stealthy, so he knows what your feeling and how to manipulate it. Alice could see even when she was human." I awed at Carlilse's response.

"How..? How would this be my gift though?"

"My guess is that perhaps you felt out of control in your human life, and others were effected by you easily. Hence the gravity and control."

"That's so cool." My thoughts drifted off, thinking about how I could test my new found powers out. Levitation, basically telekinesis, and mind manipulation. Sounded like something out of a Marvel comic.

"You're basically a super hero." Emmett said, walking into Carlilse's office, grinning at me.

"I wonder how it would work on mortals. And the wolves- would they be affected as easily?" Carlilse thought to himself.

By now the sun was coming up, just barely light outside. The grass and trees were wet- it'd been raining last night and I hardly noticed.

"Speaking of the wolves..." I began. "Do all of them stink?"
Edward chuckled. "You get used to it after a while. It's the worst right after they come back from patrols and training, where they're out all day. They reek like a pack of mutts, but when they're not phased for a while it's not as bad. It's usually right after they shower that they smell decent."

"How many of them are there?"

"Ten."

"Ten?"

"The most in Quileute history. Every couple years a new wolf joins the pack."

"Do they ever leave the pack?" I asked.

"Yes, but it depends. There are two that just left recently."

"Why did they leave?"

"So they can grow old with their imprint."