Chapter Two: Changed

"What the fuck?" The words blurted out of my mouth before I could think about it.
The man that stood in front of me raised his hand, and I flinched. I heard a growl escape my lips.

"You're safe. Everything is alright." The man spoke in a serene, soft voice. The same voice I heard before. I stood straight and realized I had been crouching, in a position of attack. I felt strong and... light? My eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"Who are you? Where am I?" I spoke and was surprised at how different my voice sounded. It was still my voice, but it wasn't. It had melody. The man stood stiffly in his place, cautious not to move too fast. He very slowly moved his hand out again as a gesture of calm.

"My name is Carlisle Cullen. I found you two nights ago, in the road. There's a lot to explain. I swear to you I'm not going to hurt you, you're safe." He spoke with genuine sincerity. It was hard not to trust him. I found you two nights ago, in the road. The night slithered into my head, and I recoiled in fear. But then as he spoke, as if on cue, a wave of tranquility came over me. I was suddenly so relaxed, and the relief I felt was imminent. 
"Where are we? How did I get here?" My eyes flitted across the space and realized there was another person in the room. I didn't know how I hadn't been able to see him before, but he was standing a ways away from the blonde guy- Carlisle.
I would have been afraid if I'd seen him- scars all over his arms, a stance of a soldier. And yet, I felt perfectly calm. He smiled softly at me and the relief intensified. 

"We're in the northern mountains. My name is Jasper. What is your name?" Northern mountains? As in, hundreds of miles away from my home town? I expected the anxiety to flow through me, and it never came. This shit is starting to get weird. I answered, skeptical, "I'm Jace Christine." Carlilse nodded, "Would you come walk with us, Jace? We have a few things to explain." 

We walked out the sliding door, and I was hit with the smells of everything. It was almost overwhelming. I could hear every bird chirping, I could smell the trees, and it didn't look like it had rained even though the clouds were gray and covering the sun.  It felt like I was breathing air for the first time. 

Vampire. I audibly laughed. Right. These two totally sensible men , telling me I'm a vampire? Bruh. 

"What? This is a prank right? Aiden set you up or something?"

"Is your throat burning?" With those words, I abruptly noticed the fire in my esophagus. I clutched my throat in response. 

"You need to hunt." Hunt. What?

"No, I just need to get some water or something." 

"Run." Jasper said, and then flitted into the forest. As in nearly vanished. What the absolute fuck, dude? In confusion, I started jogging towards the direction he went. The ground slowed beneath me. I stopped in my tracks. What the shit. Glancing up, I could see that Carlilsle was 20 feet away. How did I get all the way over here? 

I tried again, jogging towards Carlilse. The ground slowed beneath me again and when I stopped, I was even further away from where I had been before. I stood, baffled and looking down at my legs. They didn't look any longer, and I was still a short 5 feet 4 inches tall. Carlilse flitted towards me in a flash, and suddenly he was standing beside me, "Try running." He flashed his pearly whites, a grin of excitement on his smooth face. I looked at him skeptically, but did as he said. 

I ran. Once again, the ground slowed beneath me, but I was floating, my feet barely touching the grass. I could see the tiniest lady bug on a leaf, and a daisy growing 30 feet away. I never missed a beat, and my breathing never deepened. I expected to feel my heart intensify it's beating, but it never did. I felt so powerful and free, it was a euphoric feeling. It was completely exhilarating. I was moving so quickly, but never once did I miss anything. I processed it all as if I was observing a picture. I stopped by a small herd of elk, keeping my distance so as not to scare them away and watched. I'd never been so close to them before, and I was in awe. They were beautiful. Everything was so beautiful.