Psychological Profile

Knowing that John is cynical toward bureaucracy, I wasn't surprised that he was reluctant to meet me. I needed a different approach.

It's impossible to say for certain what he's really like. He masks his personality. And he's very good at it. It isn't like someone playing poker. This is a very smart man who is looking to gain the upper hand in every situation.

John carries the scars of his childhood, where the only safe haven from the uncertainty of escape was to hide deep inside himself and become a stone. While a highly effective and competent by-the-numbers vigilante, it's made him highly uncomfortable in social situations. He is diligent, methodical, and tenacious, albeit quiet. Notably, he is anxious when it comes to his own body language and expressions, how others might interpret his actions. He feels exposed, an open book that betrays all his secrets. John is most comfortable wearing his mask, where he feels he can actually breathe and hide another layer of protection.

John is also highly intelligent and analytical. He is used to being the youngest and smartest one in the room. A man of few words, he prefers brevity and clarity to extemporizing. His curt nature is easily misconstrued as rudeness.

Psychological Report

Interview 1:
"John Hancock" had a tumultuous childhood. Much of it is lost to him, and what he remembers is precious. I assured him that my role isn't to pick apart his past or dredge up events that would unsettle him, though of course I'm always here should he or any of our operators need me. I explained that my role Is to shape a cohesive team — everyone fits in some way, and it's up to me to piece it all together.

Preservation of anonymity drives nearly everything John does. He's uncomfortable with me recording our conversations, and that a notification on my phone revealed our meeting time. He's equally anxious in social situations. It's difficult to tell if he has a strong self-concept or an utter lack of one. What is apparent is that John can't let anyone in, which means he's often trapped alone with his own thoughts.

It's hard to pry details from John. He is focused, to the point, and makes it clear when he's done with a subject. His mandate was never to seek out conflict, but to perform damage control before there was any evidence of a disaster. John's skills and temperament ensure that he keeps a clear head under pressure and is always prepared, regardless of circumstance. I'm interested to see if he has a levelling influence on some of our more hotheaded agents.

Though his sarcasm can seem abrasive to those who aren't familiar with him - and maybe even to those who are - it hides a deep thoughtfulness and attention to detail. John is very much a solo operator, though he possesses a sense of duty to his colleagues and teammates and shows his affection through action. I'm hoping to draw him out of his shell and show him the benefits of working with the Program.

I wanted him to have a clear picture of who he was, at that moment, in my office. To see himself not just as an elite operator or a small child who lost his family. So I suppose he may not have understood where I was going when I asked if he liked Saturday morning cartoons.

We ran through a casual series of likes and dislikes ranging from quiet contemplation to free association. He was uncomfortable, but he humored me. As he relaxed, some of his own answers caught him off guard. From discussing breakfast cereals and the realization that he doesn't know how to ride a bike, he was able to relate a memory to me. He described how the scent of hot soup triggered a vivid image — a woman, who he assumed was his mother, smiling and handing him a bowl. His face softened, and for a moment, he was home.

I've encouraged John to carry on these associative exercises throughout his day. I know various members of the organisation have reached out to him and while there are indications he respects them, there are still barriers he may not yet be ready to take down.

Although these are my first interactions and observations of John, I feel that I'm finally getting a glimpse of the man behind the myths. He doesn't brag about what he's done or what he can do, but you can see his training in the way he moves and the critical assessment with which he evaluates his surroundings. If he were to read my evaluation, I'm sure he'd agree.

He also doesn't want to talk about his actions, but I feel that's more of a warning than an indication of any residual conflict between them.