nineteen

Ethan

Emma pulled back from the kiss, pressing her forehead against mine.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I love you, Ethan. So much. I've been denying it to myself, but it's true. I never stopped. The second I saw you hold our little girl, I finally admitted to myself that you're the one I want to be with. So, Cole and I broke up."

"You did?"

"Yeah."

He took my hands in his, looking down at them. "If I'm being honest I was contemplating telling you this even if you were still with Cole, but I love you. More than you know. I never stopped either, and I know that you're the only woman in the world that I could love like this. Emma, you've always been my person."

"Does this mean we can be together?"

"Say the word, and I'm in this."

"I'm saying it. I'm in this too."

"Can you kiss me again or something?" I flirted.

Emma basically tackled me onto the couch, kissing my face all over before she gave me a long, sweet peck on the lips. "I love you, Ethan."

"I love you too, Emma," I said, wrapping my arms around her. I glanced over at Addison, who was sound asleep in the little rocker seat.

This was Emma's and my moment. I finally had her back.

I kissed Emma on the cheek before we both sat up. "My parents are bringing us dinner in a little bit."

"That sounds perfect," she said, getting up so she could get Addison.

Once she sat down next to me with the baby in her arms, I wrapped my arms around Emma's stomach and rested my chin on her shoulder.

"I'm going to do everything to give you girls the world," I said. Emma leaned her head against mine.

"I love you so much, Ethan."

"I love you more."

-

Emma fed Addison and load her down in her crib before my parents came to our place with dinner.

We sat and visited while we ate, and I honestly felt the happiest I've been in a long time. Addison was happy and healthy, and so was Emma.

And she was finally all mine again.

My parents went home, and Emma and I settled on the couch to cuddle and watch some tv. Addison was still sound asleep in her room, so everything was quieting down for the night.

Emma played with my fingers under the blanket as she leaned her head against my chest. "I got so lucky with you," she said. "You're my best friend, and I'm so happy that I finally admitted to myself that I need you."

I kissed her cheek, hugging her a little tighter. "I know. I feel the same way. I wish I would've just spoken up and told you how I felt. Regardless if you were still with Cole."

"I know that him and I wouldn't have worked out anyway. We were having trouble regardless, and in the hospital with Addison I realized that I was pulling him into a situation that had him at a disadvantage. And honestly when it was just you and I in the room when Addison was being delivered, the only thing I could think about was you. I felt so lucky to have someone like you who supports me this much even if we weren't together at the time. And when I saw you hold her the first time, I realized that during the whole hour of her birth, I didn't think about Cole once, and I thought about you the whole fucking time."

I kissed her cheek again, loving that we were back together, and better than ever. Life was finally back to where I wanted it to be.

"And it made me realize how much I wanted to be by your side for the rest of time."

Emma cuddled into my chest. "Ugh. I've never been more in love in my life. You and Addison are everything to me."

"We should get family pictures."

"Like professionally?" Emma asked.

"Yeah."

"My cousin is a photographer. I can ask him."

"Yeah. That would be cool."

"I missed you, Ethan," she said.

"I missed us," I said. "You know, the other night I was laying awake in bed because I had a bad dream."

"What was it?"

"It was that I was at your wedding, but I wasn't the one you were marrying. I woke up right after the officiant said speak now."

"Would you have stood up?" Emma asked, looking into my eyes.

I smiled before kissing her lips. "I would've in a heartbeat."

Emma's face got serious. "You better, or I'd kick your ass."

"It's us, Emma. No one compares to you in my book. I love you."

"I love you too," she said, pressing a kiss to my lips.

In that moment, the baby monitor beeped because Addison started crying, so I got up to go get her.

I got her from her crib and brought her to Emma. In the first 24 hours of Addison'a life, Emma and I both could already tell the differences between her cries. She was hungry.

So, Emma fed her, and we settled on the couch again. Just snuggling the baby back to sleep.

Emma fell asleep too, so I gently took the baby from her arms and took her back to her crib. Then I went back to the living room, shut the tv off, and then I carried Emma back to her bed.

I made sure she was comfy, and then I covered her with blankets.

I went into my room and changed into a pair of shorts, and then took my shirt off before I brushed my teeth.

Then I went back to Emma's room, and climbed in next to her under the covers. She cuddled up to me, and I finally felt like sleep was easy again.

There's nothing better than the person you love falling asleep in your arms.

Especially when you haven't had the chance to fall asleep next to her in a while.