Chapter 11 Jennifer vs. Vincent

Valerie ran. She ran away from them and let the tears run down her cheeks. It would not be okay. Valerie pulled out a small locket that she kept in her pocket and looked in it. She stroked the life filled pictures of her hateful parents who'd abandoned her. No one understood her as much as she did and she knew that she wouldn't be alright. Sure, she'd luckily escaped the death, even though the pain in her waist continued to throb, but she knew she wouldn't survive.

She bumped into someone. Someone tall, someone she remembered from awhile ago. Valerie tried to remember who he was but had forgotten. She looked down at the now covered cut and then back at the person who silently but creepily stood in front of her, smiling.

Valerie gasped and then froze in fear and she recalled who he was. Letting out a small shriek of fear, Valerie began to run but the man grabbed her by the collar of her shirt and whispered, "no place to go, no place to hide, and no time. At all"

Valerie began to panic as the man clasped his hand over her mouth and and dragged her away. Valerie tried screaming for help but no noise came out. She soon stopped struggling and faced the truth.

.

Jennifer faced Mike. He returned the gaze. James raised his eyebrows whilst following their gazes. Jennifer turned away and began to frown. 'What happened to Valerie?' She wondered. It'd been a noticeable hour since she ran away and Jennifer was keen to investigate on that.

Pulling herself away from her friends. She walked in the same place Valerie had ran through only the hour before. Jennifer looked around. Nothing out of the ordinary. A few strands of golden hair but that could mean anything, seeing as strands of the hair was scattered around everywhere where Valerie had been. Jennifer continued searching. A small golden heart shaped trinket with a golden chain shone in the sunlight and caught her attention. Picking it up, she saw it was a locket and engraved on the front of the locket was the name 'Valerie'. There was no doubt that the locket belonged to Valerie. She flipped it open and looked at both of the inside photos. Both were black and white. The photo on the right was a picture of a beautiful young woman with what Jennifer guessed was flaxen coloured hair. On the left showed a handsome young man in his late twenties with what Jennifer then guessed as black or brown hair. Under the picture of the man, engraved into the metal was the word, 'a beautiful couple, Marie and Walter Thompson. Parents of Valerie Thompson'.

Jennifer ran her hand over the engraved writing and wondered why Valerie would leave something that seemed so precious behind. Jennifer closed the locket and looked at the back. There was some more engraved writing on the back also that read, 'to our daughter, Valerie. Take care of yourself, dear. So sorry to leave you but we must. I hope you forgive us. From your loving mother and father'. Jennifer felt wrong for reading this. It wasn't even her locket even though, something in the last part of it saddened her. 'So they abandoned her?!' Jennifer thought, shocked. 'Who would abandon such a sweet, golden haired girl?'

Footsteps. Jennifer heard them. She cautiously put the locket in her own pocket and reached for her penknife. She held it in her hand, out of anyone's view. She turned around. A man towered over her, his features familiar.

"Oh, hi Jer-" Jennifer suddenly halted and remembered what Jeremy had said, 'He likes to pass himself off as me...'.

Jennifer remembered it as clearly as anything.

"Oh, what wrong, dearie?" He said, calmly enough in his stiff, lifeless voice.

Jennifer could easily tell the difference between him and Jeremy and slowly began to back away from him.

"Oh don't go, the 'fun' is just starting" he then said nearing her with every slow step he took, revealing his bloodstained knife.

"You know too much" he added.