1-15

November 29, 2019

EVA

As Ms. Marlene promised, the drive was short. We pulled up just before Bashar's family because I had no time to be driving slow.

"We could go in," Bashar whined when I insisted we wait. "This not your house. Can't be inviting me in like that. Wait till your gramma get here. Look! They're pulling up right now."

I grinned as Ms. Marlene stepped out of her car and walked towards us. "Did y'all wait long? Let's go in," she said quickly, pulling out her keys. We all piled inside the relatively large house. I inhaled the sage filled air as I took in the decor.

To my surprise, the house consisted of lavender and gray color scheme. All furniture and artwork were chosen to complement those colors. The stray lush green plants blended right in–matching with the garden mural on one of the walls. I smiled as I spun in place. The colors were light and created an airy feeling within me.

"You know you did a good job decorating when your guest smiles like that," Ms. Marlene chuckled. I laughed before following her further inside.

In the living room, the whole family turned to me. I nudged Bashar but he rolled his eyes. "This is Eva. I'm hungry, introduce y'allselves and stop staring at her. Don't say any ignorant shit either; she'll argue with you till your ears fall off."

I glared at him, watching him laugh before walking to the kitchen. I rolled my own eyes, turning back to my audience. His family was huge.

"Uh, hi," I said, hoping they'd speak and stop staring.

"So what do you do?" Someone to my left asked. Despite the slight irritation I felt, I politely smiled, "I'm a model."

"Oh lord, Bashar done went and brought an IG model home," someone commented. I turned to them, my head bent slightly. "I'm an actual model. Matter of fact, what's wrong with IG models?"

The woman–who I assumed was middle-aged–had rich brown skin. Her forehead revealed countless frown lines as she looked me upside down. "Don't act like you don't know those girls be thoting. Posting themselves naked to trap men," she grumbled, her dark brown eyes filled with judgment.

"No one can trap men. They like naked girls. Naked girls sell. Be mad at the men. As far as I'm concerned, IG models make money, so I could care less if they're naked or fully clothed. But that's a conversation for another day. May I ask your name?"

My response was delivered calmly, but it left no room for further discussion. I didn't want to argue though.

Ms. Marlene stepped into the room while holding Bashar's hand. "What has Gina done now?" She questioned.

A younger boy, in his teens perhaps, spoke up with a snicker. "She was tryna throw shade and assumed Eva was an Instagram model. Eva put her in her place, though, so it ain't even worth mentioning."

Bashar groaned, "I know I said don't say ignorant shit. I said that right Keyon?"

The teenage boy, Keyon, grinned. "You sure did cousin. But Aunty Gina never listen."

"Boy-" Gina started but Keyon tisked. "Nuh-uh Aunty. You're on time out," he teased. Ms. Marlene laughed, "Lord, the kids these days are a different breed."

The room laughed. "Nah, cause this boy did not tell his Aunty she on time out," another man commented.

Bashar pulled me to him. "Eva is a legitimate model who has several contracts with several brands. She's also an advocate for if you got nothing good to say, don't say shit. So, don't say nothing to her; ion wonna hear her argue," he mumbled. "Shut up," I mushed him.