'Send me a list of your allergies. I'm sure I can find something.'

I laugh. He's tenacious; I'll give him that. 'That list is pretty long.'

'Hit me with it,' he dares. I can practically visualize the smirk on his face with him thinking, 'challenge accepted.'

'Wheat, milk, egg, apple, beef, soy, peanut...' I stop to remember the rest. Half the foods, I never really ate before I found out I was allergic to them, so it's hard to remember. 'carrot, melon, strawberry, tomato...kiwi...' What was the last one? I know I'm forgetting something big in there. Then it hits me. 'pork,' I finish, pressing send.

Silence. Maybe I broke him.

Then, 'I guess the better question is what CAN you eat?'

I laugh. That does kind of put a damper on things, but it's fun to see him care enough to try. 'Poultry, fish, and rice? Ironically, I'm not allergic to shellfish.'

'Interesting. Text me your address, and I'll have everything figured out by noon. See you soon, gorgeous. ;)'

Gorgeous? He's blind. After sending the information, I set the phone back down and stare at my computer screen, wondering if I should write something new or keep querying. I'm not in a Wattpad mood today, but I'm itching to work on a project.

As I lean back in my chair, my cat paws at my leg for attention, mewling pathetically. But when I look at her, she reminds me so much of Puss In Boots with those cute little eyes of hers.

"You're so demanding,"" I coo, bringing her into my lap, where she starts kneading her claws into my stomach. I unhook her nails from my clothes and lift her up to face her. "So what should I write about today?"

"Meow."

"Good talk." I look around for inspiration until my eyes land on a picture of me and Val together after college. We're wearing our graduation robes, arms slung over each other's shoulders while Dad and Carmen stand behind the camera. They took us out for an expensive dinner that night too celebrate, accepting Val as their own. We've never been apart since.

With her in mind, I open a new document. There aren't too many books that focus on adult friendships, but even if it doesn't see the light of day, at least I can share it with her. Maybe I should make my characters younger, where they meet in college or something. It would be the perfect coming of age story.

I'm well into my zone, word vomiting everything into the first chapter when my phone alerts me to a new message. 'OMW now. See you soon.'

I check the time at the bottom of the screen and curse. I should have been ready twenty minutes ago, and now I have less than ten minutes to make myself presentable. Closing out the document, I run to the bathroom to brush my teeth, toss my hair into a messy bun, and agonize over whether this outfit is okay. Val would tell me to wear something else besides this spaghetti-strap shirt, so I rush back into my room for a mid length black pinstripe shirt that hangs off the shoulder, a pair of skinny capris, and black sandals.

I don't have time for makeup, but maybe Blake won't mind? It's just lunch. It's not like I'm going somewhere fancy.

An engine hums outside, and my phone buzzes. Peeking through my window, my mouth falls open. A blue Dodge Charger is sitting in my driveway, and I can't help but think of how out of place it is in my neighborhood, where everyone drives old beat cars or trucks.

I inhale a deep breath and count to five. Just lunch, I tell myself. Not a date. Leaving my courage somewhere upstairs, I open the metal storm door and try not to cringe at the loud creak. Again, I feel self-conscious at this old neighborhood. I love this house, along with all of my neighbors, but would Blake judge me for living in the ghetto? He and his car are just so...shiny.