Chapter 4 ~ Secret Admirer

Kit

        At this point, I had finished the first day of eleventh grade, which was an interesting experience. Other than the end of the day, it was pretty uneventful. I mean, it went alright. In a way, it was nice to be back. I got to meet all my teachers and talk to my friends. I even met some new people to talk to, so that was nice. Then the end of the day came.

        While I was at my locker, trying out the combination and stuff, Nathan (that's my ex-boyfriend) came up to me. What he said was not, "Hi Kit, I'd still like to be friends" or "Hey Kit, how are you today?" No, what he said was that he found a new, prettier girlfriend who would act more grateful and passionate about being in a relationship with him.

        His insult went right over my head as I quickly responded with, "That's good, Nathan." Under the impression that I was mocking him or something, he was infuriated. I wasn't sure why he had come up to me to say anything about it in the first place, but here he was, scolding me in the hallway. He was upset because I had never shown him affection, even though I used to tell him that I wasn't comfortable with that yet. As Nathan ranted at and critiqued me, I shut down, unable to process what he was saying or form any replies.

        Suddenly, Sherry was speed-walking up to me. She stopped close enough to Nathan to make him step back, then passive agressively excused him from the area. I blinked, only just beginning to realize what had happened. I'm so bad with confrontation. I always shut down. Thank goodness Sherry showed up, or I probably would have just let Nathan yell at me for never kissing him, or whatever he was mad about.

        "Come on, let's go get ice cream," Sherry decided, pulling me out of the hallway. When we stepped outside, greeted by the warmth of the day, Sherry asked what Nathan's problem was.

        "He was probably just having a bad day," I sighed.

        "That doesn't mean he can yell at you though," Sherry pointed out, and I knew she was right. I just didn't want to say anything bad about Nathan, even if he was mean to me.

        "So, how'd your day go?" I asked as we approached a busy street.

        Sherry paused to routinely grab my hand as we ran across the road. Once we were safely on the sidewalk, she responded. “Good,” she told me with a little sigh of relief. “I found somebody who’s reading the same book as me.”

        “That’s cool,” I replied with a small smile. Usually, I tell Sherry when something’s bothering me, but I decided not to say anything. Sherry was smiling, and we were going to get some ice cream.

        Soon, the two of us were sitting on a little bench with our treats. "Here's your cherry, Cherry," I grinned, placing my cherry on her sundae. Sherry laughed and scooped it up with some vanilla ice cream. "Did you see any friends from last year?"

        "A few," Sherry nodded. "I found a girl who plays the same fashion game that we do."

        "Oh yeah? Can we add her?"

        "Maybe we could eat lunch with her," Sherry suggested. "She's new to the school. Her name's Sophie I think. You know she unlocked the level five hairstyles?"

        "What?" My eyes widened. While talking with Sherry, I slowly eased out of my bad mood. We talked about how we might make a new friend.

        After the two of us finished our ice cream and talked for a while, I checked my phone for the time. "Oh," I began, looking a text Sherry had sent me earlier, "I saw that new bag you got." Sherry nodded happily, but suddenly her smile faded and she gaped at me. "What? What's wrong?"