Chapter 6

7 February 2022 (6th inning)

On the stands, Xuân and Thành are watching the game from their seats. The previous inning ended in a standstill, but those two people feel like they could die from all the suspense and thrill of the game. No one would have imagined that baseball could be such an exciting sport despite its status in Vietnam.

"Oh, by the way," Xuân turns to Thành. "How did you manage to get the whole school to watch the game? It's quite a feat."

"Come now, flattery won't get you anywhere," he replies. "I merely told Nam and Vân about what was transpiring here and outside and they agreed to spread the word. Never thought that their connections could come in handy in situations like this."

"Come to think of it... They have friends in all three grades."

"And the rest's history. Everyone was pissed off that our rival was using such deceitful tactics so they decided to support our baseball team. The domino effect, I guess. Anyway, what about the stalls?"

"No need to fret, we've already packed things up and loaded in the coaches."

"I see. Glad to hear that."

'H-A' team is now on the offensive. Their ninth is on the first base. Their lead-off is now marching towards the batter's box menacingly. Cường remains inscrutable and delivers his pitch.

It was a clean hit.

The ball zipped through the air, landing between the left and centre outfielders. Minh accidentally butts head with his teammate, leaving the two temporarily stunned. It did not take Minh long before he manages to throw it back to the second baseman. But by the time it lands cleanly in his glove, the ninth batter and the lead-off are already running towards home.

With nothing to lose, the second baseman quickly aims the ball at the catcher's mitt and swings his shoulder. The ninth has touched the base, but the lead-off slides in an attempt to clutch.

"Safe!" the umpire shouts.

Half of the stadium is in disbelief. It was an in-the-park home run that earned 'H-A' School of the Gifted two points. Minh, Phúc, Mr Sinh, Hiền, Cường and the rest of 'A' High are visibly frustrated with this development. 9-7 is the current score of the game.

"Ladies and gentlemen, what an extraordinary play by "H-A" School of the Gifted, and it doesn't look too good for the 'A' High team now!"

Indeed, the situation seems grim for the team, seeing how 'H-A' is still going strong, despite their ace pitcher's ejection. Their schoolmates are all lost in uncertainty at the moment, seeing how this so-called "chance" appears to be elusive and intangible.

"I don't think we can win this match after all," Xuân comments, "these guys are just too much for our substitute team."

"Huh, funny. I've never pegged you as a defeatist."

"You're saying that you believe in miracles?"

"Well, for one, I do," says Thành. "A miracle has happened to me today."

"Oh? I'm curious. What is it?"

"I'll only tell you if our team wins."

Xuân turns around and thinks to herself that she must pray ten times harder than usual for the victory of 'A' High. Part of her wants to see their snobbish rival taken down a peg. She suddenly jumps from her seat and shouts loudly such that the entire stadium could hear her clearly: "Go, 'A' High School! Show them who's the best of Hanoi!"

Thành widens his eyes and raises his eyebrows as he waves at his companion to tell her to sit down. He wishes that he knew ninjutsu and disappeared from the stadium. All eyes are now upon the smartphone addict, anticipating the next moment.