Chapter 12

✖ Chapter 12 

        TRAP. TRAP. TRAP. 

        My mind knew the devious plan they had conspired, and yet my heart was nearly lurching out of my chest to lead me outside. But that was her voice. She was here. So close to me and still out of my reach. The mind clashing with the heart and I wasn't sure who would be victorious.

        Apparently, neither does anyone else, their eyes glued on me and wide as if they expect me to lash out or something an unhinged person would do. And I couldn't blame them for being worried - I tended to go out of my way and put everyone else at risk for selfish reasons.

        "Please!" She sounded like she was sobbing now.

        Pushing my hands through my hair, nails dragging against my scalp, I fought with myself. I knew it was a trap. It was the most obvious one they could've possibly planned. Yet I felt like I was going inside sitting in this supply closet doing nothing when Rose could be just moments from being mine again. When we could be moments from being far from here.

        It was a fantasy, but one that overwhelmed me.

        "I have to," I said abruptly as her third cry for help sounded. "I have to."

        Daniel held his hands up. "Harry, we need to think a plan first or-"

        Another heart-wrenching plea.

        It felt like I wasn't even in control of my body, and maybe I wasn't as I fought against my own legs, tugging my hair almost like I was tempted to pull it out. Her voice continued to echo in my mind, the many things they could've been doing to her hitting me like a ton of bricks. Again, it was a slim to nothing chance that Rose was in actual danger but...

        Something snapped and I pushed my way through them, slinging the door open. I could hear them shouting things, but my mind was clouded with horrendous things that I wished would stop. I wished I had a clear-head. I wished I could stop my feet from moving. I wished I could stop yanking at my hair. What's wrong with me?

        But I was shoving the doors open before I had time to contemplate the question, at least a hundred guns now aimed at my chest and forehead. The odd sense of vulnerability had fleed by now, leaving my mind open like it had been before Rose spoke. A part of me knew Cecilia had something to do with it, but something else caught my attention.

        Rose.

        She was there, flesh and blood and breathing. And she was crying, tear streaks staining her cheeks as she stood in between Cecilia and Evelyn. She was staring at me, emotion in her eyes unlike last time. For a brief moment, she was my Rose again. 

        However, as soon as Cecilia spoke, and as if robotic, Rose was standing in a battle stance, eyes narrowed and angry and full of hatred. Hatred towards me and I wasn't quite sure why other than Cecilia's mental grip on her.

        Anger flooded through me, but Cecilia's words cut it short. "Harry Styles, we meet once again with you in the losing corner. Are you ready to surrender?"

        My hands clenched by my sides. "I didn't get tortured for weeks in a row to surrender."

        She shrugged, seemingly nonchalant. "Always the difficult one."

        Right when, I supposed, she was going to demand orders, a scream came from behind me. Everyone's eyes fell to the double glass doors, many silhouettes appearing in a blur. There was a second scream, now clear that it was more of a battle cry than one of weakness and defeat. I felt myself smile when I realized who my back-up was.