Chapter 7: Don't Dish Out What You Can't Take

A/N: Analyse this chapter carefully.

***

February 14th, 1985 - Memphis, Tennessee

*Play Fire by Jimi Hendrix*

'All right! Now dig this baby! You don't care for me, I don't care about that.
You got a new fool. Hah, I like him like that. I have only one burning desire,
Let me stand next to your fire.'

The cracking of an egg before the sizzling over melted butter spreading out on a saucepan, dishes clattering, the groovy guitar and the quick beat of drums over a small radio, the rising sun casting a rosy hue across the morning sky and the golden rays of light trickling through the room's blinds, hair flying about as Camila whipped and rolled her head around, hips shaking and legs turning with every loose twist of her bare feet against the cold wooden floor. The guitarist's rhythmic dancing aided her in enjoying her cooking in her hotel suite's kitchen even if wasn't that great.

After flipping the french toast over onto the undercooked side, she kept her spatula and rocked her shoulders while swinging her arms side to side, backing up from the stove. Camila spun on the balls of her feet and drummed on the air to the beat, puffing out clouds of smoke from the marijuana joint stuck between her full lips curved into a concentrated frown.

'Listen here, baby. Stop acting so crazy!
You say your mom ain't home, it ain't my concern. Just don't play with me and you won't get burned. I have only one itching desire...'

"Let me stand next to your fire. Let me stand next to your fire," Camila shuffled to the fridge to retrieve a jug of Orange juice she had bought at a grocery store when doing shopping for this morning's breakfast. She sang along, but not too loud, and filled up two glasses all the way. "Oh, move over, Rover! And let Jimi take over. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about! Yeah! Get on with it baby!"

Camila approached the stove then recoiled with a surprised scream as the oil popped on her. She cowered and warily shoved the spatula under the eggs and placed them onto a wide glass plate, sunny side up. Time for a brief break. The lonely bottle of Jack Daniels finally got some attention and slid down her throat with stinging fire as she took a swig then wiped her lips with the back of her hand. Camila switched off the stove and dropped two stacks of French Toast next to the eggs after, rained down with some berries and maple syrup, then gathered the dandelions she gathered from the lawn outside and placed them on the wooden tray next to the plate.

Shedding the remaining glimpses of a serene dream, Lauren's eyes barely opened before they closed again. Reopened then closed. The music that couldn't reach her in deep slumber invaded her ears in the best way and forced her eyes to open all the way now. The smell of sweet and savoury breakfast was next. She became more aware of her surroundings: a fairly messy hotel room as a result of last night's...whatever happened last night. Lauren turned her head and stretched her limbs like a feline with the soft cotton bedsheets brushing against her naked body, arms above her head falling back to her sides. She smiled when she saw Camila in the tiny kitchen with her head tilted back, one hand in the air and the other over her mouth as she sandwiched the rolled joint with two fingers, spinning and smoking like a chimney.

'That's what I'm talking about. Now dig this! Ha! Now listen, baby. You try to give me your money, you better save it, babe. Save it for your rainy day. I have only one burning desire, let me stand next to your fire!'

The 22 year old Latina stood quiet and basked in Camila's morning glow and unique, natural look; the way her chestnut hair, falling wherever it may, looked like she seldom brushed it, the black shadow and liner smudged around her eyes because she always forgot to wipe it off before bed, how she walked around without a shirt but wore Dickies jeans that almost always had its fly down, the silver chained rope necklaces around her neck and Gothic styled pendants swinging to and from her smooth fawn skin.