PROLOGUE : DARK GLOBE

The dark globe of Unicron hung moribund above Cybertron. 

Optimus Prime stood solemnly on the balcony of his recharge-suite. The orbital corpse overhead served as a constant reminder of the threat they had faced, and of the work still to be done. Or rather, the work that the Cybertronians of the future were beginning to undertake. Optimus viewed himself as an artefact, a figure of the past. A wartime leader; and now was the time of uncomfortable peace. The time of both hope and uncertainty. Optimus saw his role as to observe, and only offer his words if entirely necessary.

Following the death of Galvatron, most of the Decepticons seemed to have adjusted to life as neutral Cybertronians

Following the death of Galvatron, most of the Decepticons seemed to have adjusted to life as neutral Cybertronians. It was the Autobots who generally  still wore their sigils proudly. Optimus watched from his balcony, as some of the once noble Autobots wandered the street drunk on Energon looking to start a round of fisticuffs. It appeared without the war, they were lost. 

Others transformed into civilian life more peaceably. Hot-Shot for instance had aged centuries in the space of a few months. He cut the figure of an elder-statesmen as he campaigned alongside Jolt in the Cybertronian Assembly for extended civil rights for Minicons.  It was common knowledge that Minicon slavers operated in the darker districts of Iacon city. Optimus Prime sometimes felt shame when rising leaders alleged that his own Autobots had used Minicons as slaves during the war. Afterall, the Minicons had attempted to escape Cybertron; to escape the war. Optimus consoled himself remembering that when Megatron had caught up with the escapees he had deployed his shell-program to make the Minicons mindless drones. Megatron had to be stopped. The other Minicons couldn't just stand by as Megatron enslaved them. By in large, most of the Minicons had joined the Autobots wholesparkedly.  As it were, aside from the allocation of rebuilding resources, Minicon liberation was the main issue of the day. 

Optimus Prime retired to his recharging slab. He feared he was growing old; his energon supplies seemed to deplete even quicker these days. He knew he had lost years of his life in that final battle with Galvatron; wounds that now regeneration tank could repair. Pain reverberated periodically around his brain module. Perhaps the human beings of Planet Earth would call this state depression. He sometimes thought of his former human allies. Brad, Carlos and Alexis would be entering their developmental stage their species named adulthood. He wondered if he should return to Earth. Did his allies miss him? Entering the dusk of his life, something needed to change.