Chapter fifty seven

A.N. Thank you guys so much for 100k reads! It means so much to me!

A pit in the bottom of his stomach, Draco opened his eyes in the meeting room of Azkaban. People were running around putting up protective enchantments, and yelling orders.

"Draco!" Harry looked over at his appearance, the question clear in his eyes: Hermione? Draco shook his head miserably, the feeling of shame becoming that much greater. Harry closed his eyes and took a deep breath, trying to reassure himself she would be okay. But there were too many things he had to think about to dwell on her.

"If they get to this room, they'll be able to break the containment spells we've put up. We just have to make sure that doesn't happen, and hold them off long enough until the aurors get here." Harry said.

"Harry they're about to break through the enchantments!" Ginny shouted as she ran into the room.

"Let's go. Everybody to your positions!" Harry led the crowd out of the room and everybody ran to where they were assigned. "Draco come with me."

"How many?" Draco asked as they went.

"A lot. I'd guess about 200." Ginny panted.

"How many do we have?" he responded.

"Almost 100." Harry answered grimly.

"Is anyone else coming? Why aren't the aurors not here yet? And the rest of the Order of the Phoenix?" Draco frowned.

"They were called out for an emergency and were ambushed and trapped. They're trying to break out, but for now we're on our own." said Harry. An alarm began to ring out, and everyone's faces turned grim. "They've broken through. Prepare yourselves! Look out for each other!"

They had just reached the front doors and ran behind cover from the initial wave. The door slammed open, and there was chaos. Spells were flying right and left, red and green alike.

"Some have gotten through!" A voice shouted.

Heads swiveled around and became overwhelmed by the number facing them. It was as though the attackers were never-ending. Draco fought his hardest, keeping Hermione at the forefront of his mind. Every person he took out was one closer to getting to her. If Theodore hadn't taken her somewhere else already.

"Harry no!" Ginny screamed. Draco saw the green spark of light shooting towards him, and dove to shove him out of the way. The jet of green barely missed the top of his head and Harry looked in shock.

"Thanks." Harry gasped.

"Merry late Christmas." Draco shrugged.

They gripped hands and used each other's weight to get back on their feet, and both jumped back into the fight. More bodies continued to drop around them, and the defenders were pushed back to the main room.

"Miss me?" A voice sneered in front of Draco. It was Pansy Parkinson.

"Why would you join them? You had a chance to get out." Draco raised his wand against her, searching her gaze for regret or hesitation.

"You think I didn't like being born into this side? You're too much of a coward to embrace who you truly are, but I'm not. You're on the wrong side Draco. Come back with us." Pansy approached him slowly, and came so close that her breath tickled his ear.

"No," Draco said coldly. "Leave if you know what's good for you."

"Shame. You could've seen your pathetic girlfriend." Pansy sneered.

Draco froze. "You're lying. You aren't high enough to have had contact with her."

"No, you see I was good friends with Theodore Nott back at Hogwarts. I'm one of the people in charge. I see Hermione all the time, although I doubt you'd think she's very pretty right now. Filthy little mudblood. I don't know why Theodore's so obsessed with her all the time." Pansy snorted.

"No." Draco's eyes flashed dangerously, and he shoved Pansy backwards. He unleashed powerful spells against her until she ran to fight someone else.

"Draco!" Harry yelled. He was backed against the door to the main room and faced by five people. Draco jumped to his aid, and was joined by many others who realized they were about to break into the room that would let everyone out.

Most of the witches and wizards there had mastered nonverbal spells, and it for a few moments, it was a blur of flashing lights. Kind of like fireworks, but without the happiness and enjoyment of company.

Draco had just taken someone down when he saw Ginny with her side exposed as she dueled with another wizard, and a witch had her eyes on Ginny. She rose her wand, and Draco sprinted over to her. The jet of light released from the wand just as Draco jumped in front, and absorbed the full impact of the spell.

"Draco!" Ginny screamed. He was sent flying into a wall, hitting his head first and falling in a slump on the floor.

Harry looked around desperately, and realized there was no hope of defending for much longer. If help didn't show up in the next minute, they would be defeated. He fought as hard as he could, but more people around him fell to the ground, injured and attackers just kept flooding in.

Debris flew everywhere as spells rickocheted off the walls. Multiple witches and wizards sprinted forward and seized Harry who was one of the last ones standing.

"Help him!" Neville yelled, and those fighting by his side went to free Harry which left him alone in front of the door.

"You can make this easy for yourself and get out of the way, or die." one of the wizards sneered.

"You may win today, but the day of the final battle will come and you will lose." Neville threatened.

"Such big words for a little boy." Another witch sneered. Neville fought valiantly, and was joined by Harry and the others, but they were overwhelmed and blasted out of the way.

A hoard of the attackers rushed forward and broke open the door.

"It is done! Apparate back!" one of the leaders yelled, and as soon as they had come, they were gone.

"Draco? Draco wake up!" Luna shook his shoulder urgently.

"Someone send a patronus to Saint Mungos and request healers to come here!" Harry shouted, and knelt down next to Draco who laid unmoving.

"Is he breathing?" Ginny had sprinted over from across the room. "That would've been me. He jumped in front of me. I could've handled it."

"His head is bleeding." Luna sat down next to him and began to perform the few healing charms her father had tought her.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" Ginny asked nervously.

"We won't know until the healers get here." Luna said solemnly. She bent her head down to hover above his face and listened. "He's still breathing, but it's very shallow."

"Stay with him. I'm going to check on everyone else." Harry said gently.

Harry stood up and looked around him in shock. Not one person had been left unscathed. At the bare minimum, people had scratches and cuts from the flying debris, but many people were seriously injured, if not dead.

"What happened?" Kingsley sprinted into Azkaban, followed by the full aurors forces, and healers from Saint Mungos slipped past them to start treating the injured.

"What does it look like." Harry said grimly.

"You're bleeding. You should be treated." said Remus.

"I'm much better off than many of those here. I can wait." Harry said.

"Did they break through to the main room?" Kingsley questioned.

"Yes. We held them off for as long as we could, but there were too many of them." Harry replied.

"Don't worry about that for now. Let's just focus on patching everyone up." Remus walked over to assist the healers.

"You did good under the circumstances Harry. Don't be hard on yourself, we should've been here sooner." Kinglsey patted Harry's shoulder comfortingly.

"If only good was enough." Harry sighed and turned back to look at the aftermath of the attack. So much for a quiet year.