Chapter thirty*

A.N. Anything I write past what happens in The Crimes of Grindelwald is thought up by me. If the next fantastic beasts movie comes out and proves half of these plot points wrong, I'm not rewriting the book with that accurate information. Just wanted to let you guys know haha. Enjoy!

"Is it time yet?" Professor McGonagall asked for the fifth time in the past few minutes. She was normally a very patient and calm witch, but this seemed to be making her very nervous and for good reason. Today would decide Hermione's fate.

"One more minute." Remus sighed. Aberforth and Harry were ready to apparate as soon as it hit noon. The rest of the hospital wing was already cleared out into a separate room for now, and would move back when Credence was gone. He requested to have as few people in the room as possible.

"Time to go." Harry announced, and the two vanished on the spot. The apparition charms were lifted from the hospital wing to allow the quick in and out trip for Credence, and would be put back up once he left. Aberforth said he wanted to spend more time with Credence and would be leaving with him.

The remaining people took their seats towards the back of the room, and in less than a minute the two were back with another man and a Phoenix who was resting on the mans shoulder.

"Very well." Credence looked up at his Phoenix to see it was looking at Hermione curiously.

"So now what?" Aberforth asked Harry. "You've had a Phoenix shed a tear on you before."

"I'm not sure. Fawkes kind of just leaned over and cried on my wound." Harry shrugged. Upon hearing the word "Fawkes", the Phoenix turned to look at him as if it was shocked. And suddenly it all clicked for Harry. "There's no way that this could be Fawkes could it?"

"Now what makes you think that?" Credence looked amused.

"Well I don't know. He kind of just gave me this look like he-recognized me." Harry finished looking slightly embarrassed. He realized how dumb that must've sounded.

"Come now Harry. How could it be-"

"You're correct." Credence cut off Remus. "I raised and cared for it since I was a young boy. Gave it to Albus so he could watch over it while I cared for Laura and made sure she adjusted to being an obscurial. He grew quite fond of it however and I let him watch it for a while more but he passed away a few years ago. Fawkes then flew back to me, and I've been caring for him ever since."

"I knew it." Harry shook his head smiling. Fawkes seemed to smile for a brief moment before turning back to Hermione.

"He recognizes her." Credence observed.

"From when? I don't think she's seen him before." Harry frowned.

"The funeral." Professor McGonagall reminded.

"Oh that's right." Harry nodded. Madam Pomfrey gasped and everyone watched as Fawkes leaned over, and blinked a tear into the potion which was ready to inject into Hermione. Remus quickly pushed the fluids through, and they entered her body. Everyone watched with baited breath for any sign of a change.

Slowly, color began to flow back into Hermione's deathly pale face. Her hands twitched, and her toes wiggled a few times. And then her eyelids began to flutter. Her heart rate increased and blood pressure went up.

"I think it's time I go." Credence held his arm out for Fawkes.

"Thank you so much." Harry said gratefully.

"Anytime. Well actually, I wouldn't mind if you never came back to visit me." He laughed. Aberforth stood next to him, and within a second they were gone.

"Hermione?" Draco said gently. 

Hermione inhaled sharply and her eyes snapped open. However instead of their normal chocolate color, they were tinged with red.

"Mr. Nott you get back here! You're under arrest." The doors burst open and Leah was running after the student with surprising speed.

"Sorry everyone but we've got somewhere to be." Theodore placed a hand on Hermione and vanished. The room stood frozen for a moment in confusion.

"Someone tell me that didn't just happen. What did you do?" Harry demanded as he looked at Leah.

"I finally had enough evidence to warrant an arrest. He must've purposely placed the last piece of evidence I needed, knowing I'd come to arrest him straight afterwards. But he ran through the halls like he knew where he was going. Each turn was calculated and conveniently nobody was around to help me. Then he burst in here and-well I think you all know what happened then." Leah said bitterly.

"But how did this happen? How did he know the apparition charms were going to be down and this exact moment? Or that Hermione would've woken up too?" Kingsley questioned. The room went silent and everyone looked at each other doubtfully.

"Does that even matter? We need to find Hermione. If that boy so much as lays a finger on her." Professor McGonagall was almost shaking in outrage.

"Will she even be the same? There's never been a recovery from a helare before. It might've changed her." Kingsley said doubtfully.

"Her eye color wasn't the same either." Draco inputted.

"Does it matter? We're getting her back." Professor McGonagall snapped.

"We need to be smart about this Minerva. We can't go out blindly. We need a plan." Remus said.

"Is there any way to track an apparition?" Harry asked.

"Not after the witch or wizard has come of age." Kingsley shook his head.

"Then we'll do what Voldemort did and taboo the name." Harry said decisively.

"I'm not sure how he did it." Remus looked troubled.

"We just got her back." Professor McGonagall collapsed into a chair and looked about ready to faint.

"I can't stop thinking about what he did to her last time. If there's so much as a scratch on her..." Harry clenched his jaw and balled his fists angrily. Draco appeared to have the same sentiments, as rage clouded his vision. It seemed as though for once, the two agreed on something.

"We have to find them first." Kingsley pointed out.

"And where do you propose we start?" Remus raised an eyebrow.

"By searching his house."