Chapter sixteen*

Two of the three stopped short of the hall doors, and calmly walked through. Hermione however, was struggling to maintain a steady breathing pattern.

Hermione and Draco blinked a few times to take in the scene before them. The three returning champions were arguing in raised voices with Andrea and the new Minister for Magic, Kingsley Shacklebolt. The Headmasters watched wearily, not wanting to publicly take sides on the matter.

As for the rest of the students, they all were silent and listening intently to the discussion.

"So we're going to ignore what happened to Cedric then?" Harry challenged, his emerald eyes glinted with anger.

"We discussed this already. That was because of Voldemort whom I seem to remember was killed by yourself Mr. Potter." Kingsley said dryly.

"So you're saying there is no other way these students will be in danger?" Viktor frowned.

"No more than what they've already agreed to when they entered their name." Andrea said firmly.

"What of Lee Jordan's death?" Harry brought up. This was a new topic that hadn't been discussed.

"What of it?" Kingsley's sense of being calm seemed to be ebbing away, to be placed with uncertainty.

"There could be more death eaters out there. How about that threat?" Harry seized the moment of doubt.

"Show us evidence of other death eaters." Andrea said snottily, but lost her attitude at a withering glance from Kingsley.

"Do you have a list of all death eaters and are certain none will interfere with this tournament? While we're sitting here having fun, they may be planning an attack right now. Also what about the pro-"

"Enough." Hermione said sternly and walked up to the table.

"Hermione-" Harry was cut off once again.

"You're frightening these children Harry. If you want to discuss these pressing manners do so appropriately. The last thing we need is parents wanting to pull their students out of this school and thinking our world isn't safe, so you stop this right now and behave yourself. We'll discuss dangers later with Tonks." Hermione whispered fiercely so only Harry could hear.

"Fine. Sorry." Harry muttered.

"Return to your breakfast. Classes will proceed as usual." Hermione announced to the hall, and took her own seat. The others who were standing went to their seats as well.

Uneasy murmuring momentarily took over the hall, but it soon turned into daily talk. Discussions about tests for the day, homework, and gossiping about Professors.

"I really should be leaving. I've caused enough trouble for the day." Kingsley stood up and made to leave.

"No you are not." Chris intervened. "Your presence will be needed following the meal."

"As you wish." Kingsley sighed, and sat back down in his chair.

Hermione noticed Draco furrowing his brow at his food. "Something wrong?"

"I was just thinking how Heron didn't get a punishment yet. Chris said he would discuss it with us once he decided."

"Oh that really isn't nece-" Hermione sighed and got cut off as Draco stood, helped her up, and walked swiftly over to Chris; still not letting go of her hand.

"Mr. Malfoy. Ms. Granger. How can I help you?" Chris smiled.

"I'd like to discuss the punishment for Heron." Draco said importantly.

"Of course. I was actually just about to talk to you about that. I've decided on the punishment, and hope that you'll approve. Of course, his parents have already been notified and seem to be in denial that their "precious son" would do what he did. He received a very thorough talking to, and agreed to be more sensitive to how others feel. If he ever does it again, he will be dealt with again in a more serious manner.." Chris finished.

"That sounds fine with me." Hermione said quickly, not wanting Draco to cause a bigger scene.

"I suppose that'll suffice." He conceded as he realized he wouldn't get anything stricter than that.

"He will still be remaining here for the duration of the school year. And again Ms. Granger, I'm extremely sorry."

"Thank you for taking care of it." Draco thanked formally, and led Hermione back to their seats. It was then that he realized he was still grasping her hand, and let go quickly. He attempted to cover up his embarrassment by closely staring at his plate the whole time.

The rest of the meal passed quickly, and as soon as the last student left the hall, chaos ensued. Nobody could make out what the other was saying, and it seemed everyone except for a few was talking at the same time.

"Stop it!" Chris shouted. "We're going to make sure everyone's opinion is heard, and gets addressed but not like this. Mr. Potter, as you seem to have a lot to say, can go first."

"I know that all the death eaters that stayed for the end of the battle were captured, but what about the others? You know many of them disapparated when they saw me alive again. One of them already killed Lee Jordan. That's probably what the prophecy was referring to." Harry calmed down, but the determination to get his way showed clearly through his eyes.

"I understand your concern, but there'll always be a threat to someone. Does that mean we should stop living our lives?" Kingsley challenged.

"Of course not. But hosting an event bringing all three major schools to participate in over the course of a year? You don't think we're painting a target on our backs?" Harry frowned.

"We have the tightest security for these grounds. And also, we don't know for sure that's what the prophecy was referring to." Andrea imputed.

"That's what you said for the last tournament, and all my past years at Hogwarts. Every year, we've had to deal with a great danger even if it wasn't always related to Voldemort." Hermione pointed out.

"Well what do you suggest we do? We can't cancel the tournament. You know how powerful the contract of the cup is." Madam Maxime looked down at Hermione, and used her height to make her seem superior.

"Obviously we can't. But I want tight security around here, and I mean tight. As in I will send some people to try and break through the enchantments and security undetected. If they find a way, we'll be having another one of these talks." Hermione said firmly.

"I agree. If the people are unsuccessful, that means the ministry is holding up their end and we won't have problems." Humfrey agreed.

"I do too." Viktor nodded.

"Well it seems we have a solution. Send them whenever you like. Make sure they have something distinct so we know they're on our side." Kingsley looked like he didn't have another care in the world, and twirled his wand in between his fingers. "Now if that's all, I need to get back to the ministry. You know how to contact me if you need something else." He strode out of the hall, and vanished.

"Well...that happened." Chris broke the awkward silence.

"So that's it then?" Harry didn't seem to have processed what just happened.

"I mean this addresses the concerns everyone had." Andrea said in a "duh" kind of tone.

"Okay then. You better hope the security is in top form." Harry grinned to himself, and began to walk out of the room with Hermione and Draco to his left.

"I hope you know who you're going to send. You sounded very confident." Hermione said pointedly.

"Yup. I know just the two." Harry made eye contact with Hermione and she knew exactly who he was talking about. When the time came, the security would be in for the most stressful night of their lives.