Chapter 9

Anastasia

We're in a store full of nutcrackers. Christian's at the register, chatting with the elderly cashier, who's showing him a map. I'm browsing the German smokers. I pick up a Santa Claus, imagining incense smoke pouring out of the Santa Claus's mouth. Creepy.

"We can personalize one for you," a female voice says.

"Oh," I say, turning to face her, "Do you have a sample?"

"Yes," she says. She takes her phone out of her pocket and shows me a picture. I have to squint because she's keeping her distance. "I ordered this one for my husband last Christmas."

A doll of a bearded man, holding a hunting rifle, with a heart in the center. Christian. His steely eyes in woodwork, smoke popping out of his tight mouth. Will we be together by Christmas?

Christian's still speaking with the cashier, pointing to a map.

"The order forms are at the register," the woman says, her brown eyes twinkling. "It would make a good present for your boyfriend. He's handsome."

I blush. My boyfriend.

The woman walks past me and starts rearranging the ornaments.

I trace my fingers over the incense cones, comparing the Apple Strudel, the Steam Engine, and the Indian summer. I shouldn't touch everything. They'll have to sanitize it. I pick the Steam Engine scent. I'll buy this one for Christian. He conceals his emotions, like he's full of suppressed steam.

"Anastasia," Christian says, walking up to me. "Are you ready to head out?"

"Yes, I just need to buy this incense," I say, walking towards the front of the store.

"Good. I need to make a call. I'll be right outside."

I nod and walk up to the cash register.

"We're glad to have you two here." The cashier says, as he scans my purchase. "Things haven't been the same without the festivals. We need more couples like you all coming here."

"We're glad to help," I say, handing him my credit card. I should buy something else. There's a row of military themed ornaments behind the register. I pick up a nutcracker dressed in Marine Blues, which makes me think of Ray. "I want one of these too. The Marine."

The cashier nods, as I place the nutcracker on the register.

My shoulders brush a wooden object, getting it unhinged. I catch the small house before it falls to the ground. There's a thermometer attached. I hope I didn't mess it up. "Damn it," I mutter.

The cashier comes to my side, his gait is fast despite his age. He adjusts the small house getting it centered on the small hook.

I back up some, knowing he's more at risk. "I'm sorry. I didn't see it."

The old man fiddles with something in the house. He situates two figurines balancing on a small bar.

My face must be redder than the house shutters.

"It's fine sweetheart. We have too much inventory," the old man says, his voice shaky. "This is a Weather Haus. When the man comes out of the house, it means rain is coming. When the woman comes out, expect good weather."

"I'll take that too," I say, breathing heavy.

"You don't need to do that," he says, ringing up my purchases.

"I want too." I pick up the Weather Haus and hand it to him. "It'll make a good present."

The cashier raises one of his thin white eyebrows. His voice gets quiet. "You should keep it for yourself." He glances out the window, in Christian's direction.