Chapter 2

Anastasia

Christian's dark hair, slightly copper colored, looks similar to his pictures. When a red-haired woman comes up to him, telling him something privately, I see it's a little outgrown in the back. He wears a crisp white linen shirt, dark fitted jeans, and a face mask embroidered with the GEH corporate logo. It's looks professional, like he's a model. He seems calm, like nothing is out of the ordinary.

Pulling out a white leather chair, Christian sits at the head seat–waiting. Everyone moves to their seats. Niall sits next to me.

Christian speaks to the group, "Thank you all for coming here today. We'll do what we can to make in-person meetings as short as possible. All discussion here should remain confidential." His eyes scan the room. "Taipei Precision wanted to delay the planned August merger. Their revenue is in decline with current oil prices. News of the security breach upset them. They agreed to further discussions later this week."

Christian's voice projects authoritatively–an accomplishment considering the cloth restraint covering his mouth.

Niall adjusts one of the ear loops of his face mask, while slowly moving his head in a nod, he looks uncertain. Does he not trust his boss?

Hmm...noted. Christian turns towards Niall. Our eyes make contact. His gaze pushes me backward into my seat. It's intense. Pugnacious, like he's gearing for a fight.

Heart now racing, I press my palms into the leather and make a silent pledge to never get in an argument with that man. I should keep a low profile. Goosebumps line my arms. I didn't factor in air conditioning when choosing this dress.

Still staring my direction, for what feels like an eternity, Christian says, "Spread out some more," pausing as he waits for people to distance themselves.

I turn to face Niall, who doesn't stir. That's my cue to move–I gather my legal pad and backpack placing it in another seat–glancing between the chairs in a silent attempt to measure six feet. I hope it's okay I'm here. Andrea only mentioned filing.

Christian answers my unspoken question. "Andrea normally takes the minutes," he says sharply. Grabbing my pen, I write today's date on my legal pad and start scribbling notes. Trying to look like I belong, I exhale slowly. It's gonna be a long day.

º-º-º-º-º

I've been writing for the past forty-five minutes, trying not to miss anything. Christian just said something about making decisions with 70% of the information needed. Something called high-velocity decisions. I'm trying to put that in shorthand, when one of the technical guys raises his hand.

"Yes, Jeremy," Christian says, his intensity laser focused on the fidgeting programmer. Jeremy's eyes communicate clarity of thought, yet his insecurity clearly show that Christian's in charge.

"Mr. Grey, how did you get the Taiwanese to uhhh ..." Jeremy says hesitating. "Agree to further discussions? Did you..." He stops for a second, picking at his hairline. He pulls a strand out. "Sir, did you promise them something in return? A piece of technology or a new privacy feature?"

Christian's eyes acknowledge Jeremy's concern. His face dips downward and the other programmers lean forward with their hands on the table sitting tight for an answer. I can tell Jeremy's anxiety is genuine. They're no longer having a surface level discussion.

After a long pause, Christian sighs then says, "We'll get to that later."

Turning his head again towards Niall who isn't paying attention, Christian says, "It's important we make a decision here. Niall, take the lead on the contractor proposal."