Chapter 2

Rey went over to the young man.

"Would you like to go to my favorite restaurant? My treat," he said, offering her his arm.

She took his arm. "I would love to. But on the way you have to tell me your name."

He looked down at her and smiled. "Only if you tell me yours."

"Deal," she agreed.

"My name is Ben," he said as they walked outside.

"I'm Rey," she answered.

"It's lovely to meet you."

"You too," she replied.

He led her to a building not far from the store. "This is it." He led her into the building.

As they entered, a waiter led them to a table set for two. He gave each of them a large red menu.

Rey skimmed the menu, trying to decide what to get. Suddenly she felt someone staring at her. She looked up to see Ben staring at her over his menu with his big brown eyes. He looked back down, trying to act as if he hadn't been staring at her. She looked back at her own menu, but after a moment she found herself stealing a glance back at him. Soon they were both staring at each other.

Rey let out a slightly frustrated sigh. "How did this happen?"

"What?" he asked.

"One moment I was shopping and the next we're staring at each other over our menus."

"Isn't it wonderful?" he asked.

She nodded, but she was becoming suspicious of him. He didn't seem to know what he was doing. He had been very impulsive about asking her out, but he didn't seem to know much about dating. He acted like this was his first time. Reading people was a part of her job, and something just wasn't adding up about him.

"You don't really own that store, do you?"

He sighed, then shook his head.

"Who are you really?"

"I'm a crown prince. Someone was trying to kill me, so my parents sent me here so that I would be safe until they figured out who was behind it," he replied.

Rey laughed, he was clearly joking. "That's a nice story."

He laughed too, confirming her suspicions.

~🔍~

"I can't believe I spent two hours over lunch," she said as they walked out of the restaurant. "I never spend two hours over lunch."

It had been wonderful, talking and laughing with him. Time had just seemed to fly by.

"You would spend even longer if you could join me tomorrow, I'm going out on the water," he said. "I would love it if you could join me."

She smiled shyly. "I will."

He smiled, then took her hand and kissed it gently. "I can't wait to see you again."

Rey blushed, not knowing what to say.

"I need to call a cab," she said at last.

"No need, I can drive you home. Just wait inside and I'll bring my car around." He looked over at a car lot across the street, seeming absent minded.

Rey nodded, then watched as he ran across the street. She was about to go back inside when she noticed a man staring from across the street. He was in his forties and wore a dark pair of shades. He seemed to be watching Ben's every move.  He stepped out of his car, and Rey could have sworn that she saw him put a gun in his jacket pocket. He pulled out a cigarette and starting smoking. Rey's brow furrowed, he was trying a little too hard to act normal. Quickly she pulled her eyes from him, not wanting him to know that she was suspicious of him.

Before she went inside she cast a worried glance towards Ben. He seemed to be talking to a car dealer.

~🔍~

A few moments later, Ben pulled up in the black sports car that she had seen in the car lot earlier that day.

He quickly got out and opened the door for her.

She smiled at him for the polite gesture. Then she sat down.

He closed the door for her, then climbed into the driver's seat.

As he began to drive, Rey could tell that he was slightly inexperienced. He seemed to be enjoying driving though, as if it was something he didn't get to do very often.

Finally, he stopped at a red light and Rey let go of the armrest.

She looked over at him. "Did you just buy this car?"

"Yes," he admitted.

"You must have good credit," she said.

"No, I paid cash for it," he replied.

"You had that much cash with you?"

Ben nodded and pulled out wad of five hundred dollar bills. "I always carry cash that way if I see something that I want, I can buy it."

Was that why that man was watching him? Did he know how much money he had? Rey wondered. The detective within her was already at work.

"That's a big wad of cash," she said.

"Wad?" he asked.

"You know, like a wad of paper or a wad of cloth," she replied.

"Oh," he answered.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"Yes," she answered.

"Do you want to drive?"

"No, I think you need more practice," she replied.

He blushed, seeming a bit embarrassed.

Just then something caught her eye, the very same car that she'd seen across the street was following them. "I think we're being followed."

Ben seemed nervous at that. "How do you know?"

She nodded towards the car. "That car was across the street from the restaurant. There was a man watching you."

Rey could tell that he was getting more nervous now. He was gripping the stirring wheel so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

The light turned green and Ben sped away as quickly as he could.

Rey told him which way to go back to the headquarters. She, Finn, Rose and Poe had bought building for their P.I. business. With enough room for each of them to have an apartment of their own on the second floor.

Turn after turn, the car continued to follow. Rey was growing more and more concerned, she knew for sure they were being followed now.

They rounded a corner and the car was now out of sight behind them.

"There's a drive up ahead," she told him.

"Turn now," she said as they came up to a bushy patch.

He turned suddenly, then pulled the car up into the drive.

Rey looked back and heaved a sigh of relief as she saw the car ride past. Whoever was following them didn't seem to notice that they had turned.

"Thank you for a nice meal," he said as if nothing had happened.

"I'm the one who should be thanking you, you paid for it," she answered.

"But you're the one who made it wonderful," he said gently.

Rey blushed. "I'll see you tomorrow."

He nodded.