xvi. deals with devils

Start from the beginning

At that, Miller then knew that it was his queue to walk up to the door, and slide the hydrazine device into the hole.

"Be careful." Clarke warned him, and he nodded slightly.

As he approached the door, Lincoln walked with him up there, so that he could watch his back. Miller's hands shook nervously as he pulled the device out from his bag.

"Hey." Lincoln calmly spoke, as he placed his hand on Miller's. "You can do this." He assured the older man.

"What if we're too late?"

"What if we're not?" Lincoln replied. He then leaned in closer to the man, so that only he could hear. "Draw strength from your son." He whispered, referring to one of the mountain's hostages.

Miller nodded, and slowly slipped the glass container of pink, chemical fueling liquid, into the slot on the door. He then quickly turned the device on and walked back to the group, where everyone proceeded to wait for Raven and Wick to shut the power off.

_________

Once night had quickly fallen, and torches were being lit, the army was still waiting for the power to shut off so that they could blow the door.

"It's taking too long." The blonde whispered anxiously, however, Lexa was unfazed.

"It takes as long as it takes." The warrior stated, remaining calm. There was a moment of silence between them, before the Commander spoke up once more. "What will you do when it's over?" She questioned her, referring to the war itself.

"I have no idea." Clarke shrugged.

"Well, what do you want?"

"...Nothing." She replied after a moment, before facing the brunette. "My people back. I can't think past today."

"You should come with me to the capital." Lexa uttered, and looked over at the blonde. "All this will change the way you think about us."

"You already have." Clarke assured her, before gunshots were heard in the distance.

The two looked at each other in worry, before Lincoln appeared next to them. "It's coming from the dam." He informed them.

"They know we're going for the power." The blonde concluded.

"They know we're going for the door." Lexa gritted.

"As soon as those lights go off, you push that button." Miller told Clarke, referring to the remote in her hand that will trigger the bomb on the door.

"We'll do the rest." Lincoln added.

Clarke nodded and gripped tightly onto the remote.

Not too long after that, the lights did indeed go off, causing the blonde to sigh in relief. "She did it."

"One minute starting now." Miller stated.

Clarke quickly lifted the device and held it out for Lexa. "For those we've lost." She recited, and the Commander placed her hand on the remote as well.

"And those we'll soon find."

Together they pushed the button, and braced themselves for the explosion.

However, it never happened...

"What's wrong? Why isn't it working?" Lexa questioned her frantically.

"They're jamming us." Clarke sighed. "I have to get closer." With that, she walked out from the rock where they were hiding behind, and tried to get a better angle of the door. However, Mountain Men immediately started shooting at her, causing Lincoln to grab her and quickly push her back behind the rock.