The judge cleared his throat. "I'm going to have to agree with the defense. If there is joint custody of the child, and Mr.Green did not leave the state or the country with the child, I do not consider this kidnapping. I will send this case to family court. In the meantime, Mr. Green is not allowed to come into contact with Ms. Howell or their child until the family court judge has heard the case."

He slammed down his gavel and that was that.

Who knew how long it was gonna take for us to get another date? Knowing Sierra, she would choose a date months from now. I can't wait that long to see Correy, I just can't.

"I know that look in your eye. Don't do anything as stupid as going to her house and taking your son back. That's only going to make things worse," she said. "How you know that's what I was gonna do?"

"Because that's what I would do. Your ex, she's getting a new job?" I nodded. "Did she say when she was leaving?"

"I have no idea." I could see something click in her head. "I'm gonna ask that this case be first on the docket. Your ex is a flight risk and could leave with your son at any time for her work. She probably won't, but no judge is gonna see that and not be concerned about her leaving against the court's wishes."

I didn't really get it, but if that meant that they could let me see my son, I was fine with it. I said goodbye to her and finally checked my phone.

Raheem

"No Asha you can't come with daddy

"No Asha you can't come with daddy." I looked down at my baby girl and sighed. I sure as hell don't wanna leave her ass with Dawn but I don't have a choice. Asha just a little kid, she can't keep her mouth shut about nothing.

She pouted again and reached up for me to carry her. I picked her up and kissed her cheek in an unsuccessful attempt to make her smile. The attitude was all her mama's.

I put my duffle on my shoulder and kept it pushing through the front door, although I should go say bye to Dawn. I'm really not fucking with her though, not right now. Not after I know what I know and I'm finna go do what I'm finna go do.

"But why you going so far, Daddy? I wanna come, please!" Her knockers clacked as she bounced up and down. Not gon lie, she was slowly convincing me to take her along. But she couldn't keep her mouth shut, and this was serious.

No one could know Domonique was still alive.

I brought Asha in for a big hug and then looked at her. "Hold it down for me, aight? Imma be back before you blink. Remember what I promised you?"

"Yeah," she was still pouting. I was resisting the urge to laugh at her but that would be fucked up. Imma respect her feelings but the way she frowned was cracking me up inside.

"Say it."

"Daddy always gon come back for me, come hell or high water," she started showing her lil teeth with a smile.