"Got time to continue our D&D?" Lilynette asked hopefully. "I've finished another line of quests."

"Are they Rirī proof?" Stark dryly asked.

"Hopefully. Rirī, please stop trying to seduce the villains."

"It's in my nature," I protested but Lilynette glared at me. "Ugh, fine. Next campaign I'll play something other than a seductive bard."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

I put away my pocket watch. I'd be late returning to Soul Society, but that should be fine.

Surely they could survive an entire day without me, right?

(◕▾◕✿)

I returned to everything on fire

Literally. Everything. On. Fire.

"What the fuck?" I asked in disbelief as I stared at the burning city. "How the fuck? Kura!"

Kura popped up next to me, lazily floating in the air as he sipped on a—from what I could smell—pumpkin spice latte through a straw. "Yeah?"

"What the hell happened here?" I gestured to the burning city.

"Yhwach."

"What?! Why didn't you guys come get me? You know I've been trying to get a hold of him, Bazz-B, and Jugram for like centuries now. Not to mention this was my chance to kill Yhwach before he got too annoying."

"Snuggles and I enjoyed the fireworks. We kept the important people alive though, don't worry," Kura reassured me. "Besides, Death was keeping you out of their pocket dimension for a reason, wasn't he?"

'A stupid reason,' I thought bitterly. 'Ask me to change the story then keep me away from key late game actors.'

It was hard enough having to wait so, so, so long for my precious companion to be reborn. Being given limited access to the story felt like a kick in the butt, and in the inspiring / motivation / Therapy-no-jutsu way... rather a kick in the butt like here let me turn up the difficulty for no reason.

'I hate the Soul King.'

"And Shiori—oh, wait," I sighed, recalling. Shiori was rebuilding the kaleidoscope for Rirī's life. Every week she needed to spend three days in the In Between. Today was only the second day. Since I had no physical energy to spare it took her longer to give them forms. They'd be a lot sturdier due to their pure spiritual energy form, but it'd take at least two centuries of careful construction.

'I should have predicted Kura and Snuggles would watch the world burn,' I thought to myself. I was unable to get mad at them. I had hoped to just kill Yhwach right away, but it made no real difference in my goals. He'd be dead by the time I finished Aizen's arc regardless.