Chapter 17

*Elijah's POV*
I woke with a sharp breath. I was in the Salvatore's basement, how? My memories were blurred, I remember going to meet Claudia, I was so happy when I got her invite. I thought it was the time to rekindle our love. My memories came back slowly as I relived the night.

She asked me to run away with her, what was I doing? I wanted nothing more than to have a life with her, with nobody else, a new life. My mind betrayed my heart, I spoke without realising, I told her no, my word still stands with Klaus. But I gave her my word, Niklaus says it isn't valid anymore because I saved her life. I do not remember past that event.

I examined my suit, all torn and stained, I sighed, that was my favourite suit. I stood up and looked around the house to find her, but it was empty, so I went home to change.

At the house, Niklaus stood in a casual outfit, he was surprised to see me. "Brother?" He said "I thought that Harlet had you in her grasps" he started

"Which Harlet? And do you know why I awoke with a dagger in my chest?" I asked, because I knew that any dagger business related to Niklaus. He tilted his head and placed his hand on my forehead, boosting my mind, making me remember.

The pain, it burnt. Stabbing, shooting. Claudia caused it, she kidnapped me but she freed me, she wanted to die, the stake and her necklace, her emotions were wavering. I came back to reality, angered wash my face, my anger overcame my affections for her. So me and Niklaus planned her downfall.

It was only when I saw them brawl when I realised I had made a mistake and couldn't see her die at the hands of Niklaus. But now I had told her the truth and I fear that I have lost her forever.

*Claudia's POV*
Lying in bed, that's what my days resorted to now, lying in bed, nothing to do with my life, I thought after Niklaus had gone, me and Elijah would fall back together but no, he planned to kill me. So my life has fallen apart and I have no reason to live.

I heard a tap on my window, stones were being thrown. My curiosity got the better of me and I reached to open the window. Elijah stood there, looking like a lost puppy, perking up at the sight of me.

"Elijah, take a hint" I shouted, he just looked up at me

"Claudia, please, just come with me, I want to show you something" he replied, holding his hand up for me to take it. I jumped down, deliberately not taking his hand.

"Go on then" I said emotionally. He walked me to the front door of my old house. "What does showing me this do? It's changed, people live here"

"Just let me show you" Elijah stated, opening the door and stepping in. I wasn't invite in, I couldn't come in, I thought, but I tried. I stepped in, and it hit me. The house, was exactly the same as when I lived there, I was speechless. I walked from room to room, it was uncanny, it was back to normal.

I ran to my room with Elijah following behind me. I halted, crying and taking in all of the past. I sat on the bed and calmed myself. "You know Elijah. I was too caught up in running away from you and killing to survive, I never realised the fact I was something I didn't want to be, my purity turned to darkness and I never thought about it, I never mourned my death, I died Elijah" I cried. My head finding it's way to his shoulder where it fit perfectly.

"I mourned for a long time Claudia, I probably mourned for both of us" he said , I giggled at his seriousness. "Those eyes, they resemble a kittens, you're still innocent, you're still pure"

"Even when I've killed without mercy" I laughed

"Even then" he smiled

We sat there for a while, after all of this time, I has convinced myself he didn't love me, but he did, I was loved. He chose me over his brother, he went back on his word. For me.

"You know, the owners of this house suddenly got up and moved" he started

"What are you hinting at?" I asked

"This house, if you want, could be yours" he looked at me, smugly.

"I would love this house" I smiled "but it wouldn't be a home, if it wasn't ours" I looked up at him, readying myself for rejection

"Okay, this is our house" he smiled before leaning down to kiss me on my forehead