Chapter 4

*Claudia's POV*
Another few days have passed, I still have that empty feeling I have been dealing with ever since I've hit my head in the forest. I did lost my balance yesterday, when I was with Evelyn, there was a lot of blood, I blanked out again and the blood and scar was gone, it was a miracle. Evelyn said there wasn't any scars in the first place, but I know what I saw.

Father has been out every night this week, meeting with the other founders for some reason, so I've spent all of my time with Alice.

++++++++++
The night fell quickly, me and Alice were still up talking when we heard screaming and chanting "murderer" and "vampire" a word I've heard before but had no knowledge upon. We both looked out the window and saw Jonathan Gilbert point at Evelyn shouting "this one here" what was going on? Confederate soldiers grabbed Evelyn by her waist and dragged her into an iron carriage. "We have to help her" I stated, and we both ran down.

The carriage left, so I ran after it, why was Evelyn forced in? why did Jonathan Gilbert point at her? It was so confusing. The carriage stopped and I started banging on the door "Evelyn" I shouted, trying to open the door. I had lost Alice in the crowds of people, but I didn't stop. I heard Evelyn shout back at me, asking for me to save her, to get her out. I tried with all of my strength. I heard gunshots and screams behind me, but it didn't stop me. However, after a loud gunshot, I stopped and turned around to see my father with a rifle in his hands. I looked down and the bloody hole in my chest before falling to the floor.

++++++++++
I woke up with a gasp, the sun was blinding, making my head hurt. I was in the forest, lying on a bed of burnt leaves. I was terrified. I clutched the locket around my neck and somehow got calmness out of it.
"Morning sleeping beauty" Alice stated

"Alice what happened to me?" I asked shakily. She frowned.

"Well, you died with Evelyn's blood in your system, your father shot you when you tried to save Evelyn" she spoke and I tilted my head "your transitioning into a vampire" she stated, a vampire? What was a vampire?

" here drink this, it'll all become clear after" she handed me a glass of red thick liquid "blood?" I asked, she nodded. Closing my eyes, I drank, the sweet liquid left a warm path as it went down my throat, I needed more, the hunger was overwhelming.

As soon as I got up, I had flashbacks. "Elijah!" I exclaimed " I loved him and he left me"

"He left you with that locket, it has lapis lapziuli, which means I could charm it and allow you to walk in daylight" she added "he did care for you"

"But he left" I finished. I had never opened my locket before, and now I could. Inside were two drawings, me and Elijah on either side. It broke my heart.

I came to the conclusion that I needed to leave " tell everyone that my body burnt in the blaze, along with the other innocents" I asked, and we said goodbye.

"Oh Alice" I turned around to add one more thing " if Elijah ever comes back for me ..."

"Yes?"

"Tell him I'm dead"