Chapter 5

Into the Woods

Chapter 5

Wren’s POV

Once again, I woke up in a large, comfy bed that was not my own. I was in a different t-shirt; this time it was grey and smelled like a male’s deodorant. An arm was wrapped around me, and I was pressed against Corey’s half-naked body. Being the annoying person I am, the first thing I did was poke the dimple on his cheek.

Poke. Poke. Poke… pokepoke…poke. JAB.

“OW!” he shouts, “What was that for?” As he glares at me, I put on my innocent face. Surely he couldn’t resist it.

“I was bored,” I pout, “and I didn’t want to wake you up.” Sighing, he closes his eyes again and this time, it was him that snuggled against me. His body was warm, and I couldn’t help but stay in the position for a few minutes while performing a victory dance in my head. Then as I remembered the events of the day before, I shoot up from the bed and start screaming at Corey about a wolf in the house.

“COREY COREY COREY THERE WAS A HUGE WOLF AND IT WAS GONNA ATTACK ALFIE AND I AND YOU WEREN’T THERE TO PROTECT ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IT WAS SO SCARY AND THEN IT SAT IN MY LAP AND IT’S FUR WAS ACTUALLY REALLY SOFT AND I DON’T KNOW HOW I GOT IN HERE AM I DEAD DID THE WOLF EAT ME OH MY GOD OH MY GOD I’M DEAD HOLY CRAP I’M IN HEAVEN BECAUSE COREY DIDN’T PROTECT ME THAT BASTARD HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP –“

“SHUT UP!!” he yells at me, cupping his hands around his ears as if I was too loud. I shrunk away at his harshness, and as he realizes what he did he scooped me up and into his lap. “Wren, you’re not dead, and you’re not in heaven. And also, there’s something I need to tell you.” I nod and gesture for him to continue; my heart beating fast and hard.

“I’m a werewolf, and the wolf you saw was me.”

Wren’s POV

We’re now sitting in the kitchen, drinking a cup of hot chocolate, and staring at each other cautiously. After our little discussion, we were both thinking about the things that we said to each other, and what they meant. Mostly, what we meant.

Flashback:

“I’m a werewolf, and the wolf you saw was me.” I threw my head back and laughed until I couldn’t breathe.

“Nice try, Corey. Now, seriously, what were you gonna say?”I smile, amused at how cheesy the joke was.

“Wren, I’m not kidding.” The seriousness of his tone made me turn and look him in the eyes. As if trying to prove what he said was true, his nose seemed more like a snout, and his eyes began to look like claws. Screaming, I fling myself off of his lap and throw my shaking body into the closet, locking the door behind me.

During my stay in the closet, all I heard were growls, whines, and the sound of its claws scratching against the floor. When all sounds except for my breathing ceased to exist, I slowly opened the door a crack, peering into the room. Everything was tidy, and Corey was sitting on the edge of the bed, one had clutching the shirt I wore the day before and the other thrust into his messy brown hair.

Something happened to my heart as I saw a broken Corey for the first time. Quickly, so I couldn’t change my mind, I slipped out of the closet and stood in front of him. For a while, he didn’t look up, but when he did, he flung his arms around me and hugged me close to him. Hesitantly, I put my arms around his abdomen, and let him cradle me and sniff my hair.

If we weren’t in this current situation, I probably would’ve fallen asleep. But there was something between us that wouldn’t let me. I pulled back from Corey’s arms, and opened my mouth, but before I could say anything, he swept me off my feet and carried me down to kitchen, where he started making hot chocolate.

“I’m a werewolf,” he starts. “I turn into a wolf when I need to. Most of the time, I’m not proud of what I am, Wren. I view myself as a monster. Something that shouldn’t be in this world. Something that shouldn’t even be alive.” His voice cracked, and I put my hand on his arm. “It’s so hard, living alone like this. The only people you know are the people you grew up with, and even they don’t understand what I feel. They only think that they’re superior to humans. But sometimes, I’m jealous of humans. Jealous of the easy life they live, without having to prove themselves by killing something or someone. Do you understand, Wren? I’m a killer. A murderer.” Corey’s voice broke again.

“Corey…” I whisper.

“No, Wren, you have to hear this. One thing you need to know about a werewolf is that we kill mercilessly. Most people living here don’t even care that they’ve shed the blood of the innocent. It’s almost as if they want to do it. Being here alone, it’s driving them crazy. And sometimes, it drives me crazy, too. I wonder why we can’t just go out there into the human world and just show what I am. Show who I am. Why wouldn’t they accept me? After all, I’m just like them, except I have a monster inside of me that I can’t control. And when you ran away and screamed, I understood.”

“Oh, Corey…” Tears were surfacing to my eyes, and Corey’s were red and blood shot. He gripped the edge of the table, as if it was the only thing that kept him grounded.

“Humans are selfish. All they think about is their well being, not of others.”

“Corey, it isn’t like that.”

“Than what is it like, Wren? Tell me, what’s it like being a human?” he begs, eyes full of pain and misery.

“We’re vulnerable. We hate it when other people judge us, yet we do the same. We always form a flawed society. Yes, Corey, we’re not perfect. But neither are you. We may have our flaws, but there things that cancel them out. We’re capable of loving, and passionate feelings. We can accept our mistakes, or at least some people can. We try to understand others, people that are different from us, special in a way. But we’re not fully perfect, Corey. Don’t expect us to be. You’re only going to be disappointed.” I say softly.  He takes a deep breath, somehow still looking beautiful with tears running down his cheeks and his hair spiked all over the place.

I place a hand against his cheek, pressing my palm against his wet skin. “You might not be perfect, Corey, but from what I can see so far, you’re pretty damn close.”

A/N: WOOOOO UPDATE! Well, that was very emotional, wasn’t it? J I just love writing sad stuff. It’s great. I might’ve teared up while writing this, teehee. ANYWAY HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT.

PLEASE

COMMENT

VOTE

AND THANKS FOR READING!!