Chapter 2: (Dis)orientation

The town center bustled with activity. Food vendors haggled with potential customers and people walked from stall to stall browsing merchandise. Or at least, what looked like people. Upon closer look, Luz noticed that almost everyone had pointy ears, like the elves she read about in The Good Witch Azura series. Touching her own ears subconsciously, Luz pulled up her hood, and made her way to the front of the crowd that had gathered in front of a large fountain gushing with blood red water.

There she found a small, pig-like demon standing on top of a stack of boxes wielding a megaphone. Arms crossed, the demon scanned the crowd as if looking for someone.

Luz gasped.

"Woah! A magical creature!"

Flyers were being passed around to people in the crowd. Curious, Luz took one. It read:

Come one, come all to the event of the season!

Tibbles' Tiny Terrors will be on display for 1 night only!

Purchase of ticket required for entry. No refunds under any circumstances.

Luz hummed.

"Hmm... this sounds cool!" She walked over to Tibbles, waving the flyer as she asked, "Hiya! Where can I get a ticket?"

Tibbles turned, facing her with a grin.

"Right here! It'll be 30 snails. You can also purchase a limited edition t-shirt for an additional 15 snails."

Luz frowned.

"Um, I don't have that... currency. Do you take this?" Luz reached into her pocket, pulled out her wallet, and offered him a $20 dollar bill.

Upon seeing her glowing hand, Tibbles' eyes narrowed, and he wrinkled his nose.

"Ugh, a passenger. Beat it kid, you don't have anything of value to offer me." He sniffed and walked off.

Luz scowled.

"Well that was rude!"

With a huff, she turned away from the fountain and made her way through the crowd again. Once Luz broke through, she looked around, weighing her options. Deciding to leave the market and explore more of town, she took off up the street towards a bell tower.

Judging by the way that lady and the demon-pig treated me it seems like passengers aren't very liked here. I wonder why...

Lost in thought, Luz didn't notice the person standing in front of her until too late. She bumped into them, stumbling a bit before catching herself. The person wasn't as lucky, and they fell to the ground with a thud.

"Ah!"

Luz clapped her hands to her cheeks.

"Oh my gosh! I am so sorry! Here, let me help you up."

Crouching slightly, she offered a hand to them. They took it and stood up, dusting off their pants. Luz took in their appearance, and when she noticed their round ears she smiled.

"Hey! You're a human too!"

Raising an eyebrow, they replied, "Uh... yeah."

Luz beamed, undeterred by their flat response.

"It's so nice to finally see another human around here!" She offered her hand, but was left hanging so she dropped it. "I'm Luz! I'm kinda new here and don't know what's going on at all. Apparently we're on a train? But this doesn't look or feel like a train? Anyway, what's your name?"

"Willow," she said stiffly, shifting uncomfortably on her feet.

"Well Willow, it's lovely to meet you! Do you think you could help me out?"