Chapter 12

♡ Em's POV ♡

Although I was certain that this Jared Collins was 'irrevocably and unconditionally in love' with Valeria, I still needed to spice her up a little to give Jared a pleasant surprise.

That was why I was waiting in my Mercedes in the carpark of my old high school, just for her. What a special girl she was, that I had to ask Darren to take my place to meet up with a business executive. That I had to sacrifice family time with Elliot. Because Angel said I had to, and apparently, I couldn't disobey her.

It was currently two fifty-eight in the afternoon, and she was due to be out in two minutes. I know, I was like a time Nazi now, probably due to the time I had to manage when I had just graduated from college; it had been hard - I was just a sales person at that time, always rushing here and there, and also trying to be a good mother to Elliot. It made me into the perfectionist I am today.

Speaking of which, I caught a glimpse of her muddy brown hair, and wound down my window to gesture for her to get in. For such a smart girl, she could be a little slow.

When she'd finally gotten in, and was comfortably seated in the passenger seat, I glanced at her clothes distastefully. Not that it was that terrible; my dressing back in the day was much worse than hers. But, I used to wear it proudly, no matter how unfashionable it was. Valeria looked like she was ashamed of herself, and her hunch was making her look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

"Valeria, sit straight," I reminded her as politely as I could. She made a gagging noise at the back of her throat in protest, but straightened herself.

"So, where are we going?" She asked, drumming her fingers against her brown colored corduroy pants. She seemed bolder now that she wasn't with her peers. It kind of reminded me of myself. I was always happier when alone, or with my best friend, just like her. It was kind of like me against the rest of the world.

"We're going to where I suffered during my time in the stupid game."

We reached the darned Crossland Mall in five minutes, maximum. I hadn't come here ever again after that time, and boy, was it looking new. They must've renovated the whole place! Back when I had come, it was sort of run down, and not many people shopped there. Now, it was packed, bustling with activity, and it had modern architecture.

"The stuff here looks pretty expensive," Valeria commented, looking out of the window. I snorted, nodding in agreement. The shops here were pretty expensive, but Angel had agreed to pay for her, so I wanted to spend as much as possible. Starting from... True Religion.

"I just found the perfect shop to start."

Walking into True Religion made me scrunch up my face slightly. Everyone shopping there was dressed fashionably, and they would stop shopping once and then to give Valeria and me a once-over. I wasn't really worried about myself; I was wearing a H&M spring collection apple green pleat mini dress that I had bought awhile back, and black pumps. It was in fashion. What I was worried about was that everyone's wandering eyes found their way to Valeria, where she hunched in her brown Gap hoodie and corduroy pants.

I could understand how Angel felt when she took me shopping here. I was such a fashion disaster, and it was totally embarrassing for her. Also, I felt quite bad for Valeria who was getting mental attacks by those stuck up shoppers.