XXXVIII - Stolen

The girl who had spent an hour sobbing into Lorelei's shoulder the night before felt like a far-cry from the woman standing at the front of the town hall, now. Mara gazed down at the many faces peering up at her, able to see every expression from the stout, wooden stage she stood on. 

Her voice carried over the space like a ringing bell, bringing the information that Raadan villagers had been waiting for. "While it was a close call," she said, "thanks to Wynora, the mission at the comms tower was a success."

She stole a sideways glance to where Dusty and Delta stood at attention a step behind her. In the front row, she steadied her nerves on the image of Tiernan and Strata's faces in the crowd, where they were flanked by the other teenagers, broadcasting confidence to her. 

"For the time being, the Empire has no idea we have access to any communication at all," Mara continued. "That gives us the ability to communicate internally with our own radios, as well as a small window of opportunity for a few off-planet transmissions. It's been agreed that my ship, the Starbird, can be used to send a few brief messages on a scheduled basis."

"What about my ship?" called Odessa. 

Mara easily picked out the Torgruta from the crowd. She stood near the base of the stage, next to Ledoa. Her heart still faltered when she looked at Odessa, always too similar to Ahsoka at first glance, but at least now she no longer fumbled with words. 

"By now, yours has already been tagged," she said. "If you were able to tell from your ship that they blocked communications, then they definitely tracked you the village. As far as we know, the Empire hasn't seen the Starbird, yet. It's the only safe bet." Well, she thought, safe-ish. 

Odessa accepted this. Mara saw a few more nods echoed through the crowd. Such a stark difference from the discordant group she had spoken to just a few days ago, when proposing this plan. Sensing their willingness, she took the opportunity to continue,

"Transmissions will have to be short and infrequent. My first mate, Strata, and I will take a small group up every few days. You have to understand, only a few messages can go out at a time, and it's crucial that no one gives away anything significant on the off-chance it's intercepted. Strata, Delta, and I will monitor transmissions to make sure nothing critical is divulged. Just in case." As she finished, she turned to Delta, who gave her a nod. She faced the crowd once more. "That's it. Thank you all."

The gathered villagers rose from their seats, spilling out of the town hall at a languid pace. Mara hopped off the stage--getting a pat on the shoulder from Delta as she passed--and walked out with the others. She rejoined her peers as they waded through the crowd, most everyone dispersing to their regular chores. At this time, Tiernan, Zotee and the others usually gathered at Denit's house. But from what Mara had heard, Denit was spending the day babysitting his sister and Kirrie, Ledoa's daughter. Although, the others had said something about trying a new brew that Denit had concocted that night. Maybe Mara would stop by then, if she had the time. 

"I'm going to comm Kiiara," Strata stated, falling into step next to her. "I didn't leave things the right way, and after that last mission..." She repressed a shudder. "I have to talk to her."

"I'm glad." Mara sent her a small smile. "I can tell how much you miss her."

Mara would have never expected to see Strata, of all people, blush--but with her pale skin, she went positively red. She ducked her head, white hair sweeping forward to hide her face. "Yeah, yeah. What about you? You're coming up with me, right?"

Mara glanced away. "No."

Strata came to an abrupt stop. "Wait, why not?"

Mara sighed, gesturing for Strata to step off the path they walked on. Villagers milled by them, heedless of the conversation.