Chapter eleven

Short Sapnap POV

It was a crisp Tuesday morning when Sapnap woke up, like every morning, in his messy bed stashed in the back of the pub that had taken him nearly four years to get off the ground. He threw on a white t-shirt, combed through his messy bed head, put on his cowboy hat, and headed out into the shop. 

After cleaning up a little bit, he'd unlocked the front doors and welcomed one the members of his daytime staff. They shared a short conversation before some of the daytime regulars showed up.

"Whats good Sam?" Sapnap waved at the old man before him before pouring him his usual drink.

"Don't suppose you've heard the rumors Sap?" The geezer wheezed out. "They say the Prince of Versail got out sometime last Sunday, got a bunch of guards out searching for him." Sapnap damn near dropped the glass.

"No way! You're joking!" Even all the way out in this no-where place, Krokan citizens knew about the locked away prince. Sapnap often heard the towns folk telling their children stories about how when the prince was 8, he turned into a horrible monster so they had to lock him away deep inside the castle where no man could find him. A part of him thought the prince had died and since the queen had died not too long before that, Sapnap thought the King just didn't want to burden his people with anymore grief. Or, since the Prince was the only heir to the kingdom and the Queen was dead too, the King might've kept it a secret because of that.

"Well I'm sure the bounty hunters are having a blast of a time with this one, suppose they're being offered one hell of a payout to capture him. That kinda money would help us out a lot wouldn't it, Sap?." Dean, the daytime employee nudged Sapnap laughing, but he stayed silent.

"No way...even if we had any ability of being qualified as "bounty hunters," there's no way we'd be the ones to find the prince. He'd never come out this direction and even if he did, no one knows what the bastard looks like! Its been 15 years since anyone saw him last!"

"You'd have better luck finding a chest full of gold than finding that prince!" The old man let out a hearty laugh and choked slightly. Sapnap ignore him, he'd never had much luck finding things let alone a Prince. He expected the guards to find the Prince lurking out in the bushes or something.

He never expected the Prince to walk right into his pub. Certainly not with a bounty hunter at his side too.

Dream was an old friend of his from way back, like 6 or 7 years back. They'd run into each other a couple times while he was out on jobs or just getting back from them, but it wasn't often enough for Sapnap to have any problem turning him in if he needed to. He considered Dream a good friend, and would hate to see that end, but after seeing Dream with The prince of Versail! Well gosh darn if he wasn't just the luckiest man alive!

There was nothing Sap loved more than his pub. Working day and night on this building non-stop for the last 4 years had made him look at it like his own child. Even 10k would help him improve it a grand amount, and Sap couldn't stop thinking about how much he'd be rewarded for telling the guards where the prince was! Or better yet, delivering him right to their footsteps.

Though, he needed to play it smart. They wanted to go to Clairvent, probably so Dream could finish the delivery to some black market buyer. Sapnap would take them there, then when the time was right separate Dream from the Prince and take off. Leaving Dream stuck in Clairvent and Sapnap rich. 

He knew Dream was considered one of the top hunters throughout all of the land, and certainly didn't want to be an enemy of his. He'd have to come up with a story on how he was taken with the bastard prince and forced to hand him over. He'd claim he didn't even know it was the Prince and Dream would have no choice but to believe him! God he was so smart.