CHAPTER ONE

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 : 𝐖𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐎𝐘

❝ 𝐖𝐇𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋'𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐊? ❞

✧ ✧ ✧

DEAD LEAVES BLEW IN THE AUTUMN WIND, the sun finally up and shining above the clouds as Steve Harrington, the resident king of Hawkins High, pulled into the school's parking lot

DEAD LEAVES BLEW IN THE AUTUMN WIND, the sun finally up and shining above the clouds as Steve Harrington, the resident king of Hawkins High, pulled into the school's parking lot. Crowds had started to gather outside both buildings, the high school and middle school, as the kids and teens alike began their school days'. It was October, and more than half of the student population was already wishing for Winter Break to come already.

Sitting in the back of Steve Harrington's BMW, Lucinda Bristow, or Luce as everyone called her, ran her finger through her short, dark blonde hair which she had recently trimmed and cut short over the summer. Her mother, Sarah, always insisted that she should keep her hair long and never cut it past her shoulders because that's what was "flattering" on her. Luce didn't give a shit. She liked her hair shorter, better, and different. Especially because she wanted a big change after what happened last year...

"It's crap, I know..." Steve trailed off, as he glanced out the car window. His left arm rested on the steering wheel. He wasn't talking to Lucy, no, he was talking to Nancy Wheeler, Luce's pretty brown haired cousin with a lovely smile and bright eyes. She was one of Luce's closest companions and people she was most jealous of. Nancy was the kind of person who was destined for greatness, a true valedictorian of life, and Lucy... well, she was the kind of girl who mostly got straight C's and sat in the back of class listening to cassettes on her Walkman.

"No, it's not crap." Nancy replied in her soft voice, shaking her head slightly as if to disagree with him. Nancy had been sitting in silence, quietly reading over Steve's college essay. It had been a little over ten minutes and Luce could tell Steve was getting impatient. Unlike Steve, Lucy hadn't written a college essay. She had never planned to go. Well, maybe in middle school when her and her old friends would fantasize about it, but nowadays her plans consisted of first getting through her senior year and, second, getting out of Hawkins as soon as possible. Better yet, getting out of the Midwest all together.