He settled himself on a wooden bench, and envelloped himself in the pages. He hadn't even been reading for a whole minute when a chocolate colored hand slapped the top of the pages, jerking his attention upwards.

A familiar, mischievous face stared down at him. "I challenge you to a game of pai sho, Zuko!"

.............................

He was just trying to be friendly.

The stoic, humorless Zuko seemed the least likely friend for Sokka to have, yet Suki insisted that they would get along if they just got to know each other more. So Sokka decided to go down a route he knew best- fun and games. 

"No."

"What?" Sokka asked, having been caught completely off-guard.

"I said no. I'm reading right now, and besides, it wouldn't be that much of a challenge," Zuko replied flatly, turning back to his book.

Sokka bristled with anger. Who did this guy think he was? As if he could beat the Pai sho Captain himself, a nickname Katara had given him after he beat her fifty times in a row. He was able to calm himself down, however, reassuring himself with the fact that most people underestimate his abilities, and this was just a similiar case.

"Are you sure? Maybe you're just afraid you'll embarrass yourself in front of everyone," Sokka retorted airily, smirking to himself.

Bam!

Zuko had slammed his book shut, causing Sokka to flinch. Apparently he had struck a nerve.

"Fine. I'll play. You can have the first move." He stood up and briskly walked over to the nearest pai sho table, with an even more serious expression on his face than before.

"O-kay," Sokka answered, unsure if this was a victory or not.

They sat down at the table, and began to set up their pieces. Sokka took a deep breath, then reassured himself. No one can beat a pai sho master, and if anyone could, it certainly wouldn't be this guy.

Sokka had the first move, so he quickly moved his Red Castle tile to the front of the board. According to him, pai sho should be quick and fast-paced to enhance the game.

Zuko on the other hand, seemed to have a different strategy entirely. He took a whole minute before he made his move, which was taking his White Lotus tile to the right of the board.

Sokka squinted at him. "Why did you move that wimpy piece?"

Zuko shrugged in response. "Why shouldn't I?"

Sokka shook his head in disbelief. Well, if he's going to lose, I probably shouldn't stop him. He immediately decided to take his White Lotus with his Green Bear. He took his newly earned piece  to his side of the table.

Zuko paused, scanning the board. Another two minutes passed before he took his Purple Ribbon right in front of his Green Bear, leaving it completely undefended.

Why would he do that? For someone who took so long to analyze the board, it was almost as if he had no idea where his opponent's tiles were. Sokka easily took his Purple Ribbon, moving his Green Bear even further. 

By now, a few people were starting to watch, and they, too, seemed confused by what Zuko was doing. Sokka paused only a second before he took Zuko's Yellow Sea with his Red Castle, adding the tile to his steadily growing collection.

Suddenly Zuko smiled wide, and it only took a second for him to make his move, unlike all the others. He picked up his second White Lotus and took his Red Castle, putting it right in the middleof the board, targeting every single piece Sokka had in his possession.

"I win."

Sokka's jaw dropped, as did many of the bystanders.

But there was no way he was going to give up now. 

He slammed his fist on the table, causing the tiles to jump in the air. "I want a rematch! That was too short!"

Zuko sighed in exasperation. "If you want." Sokka grinned. This time, there was no way he was going to lose.

But he did.

He lost again, and again, and again, until he couldn't even look at the board without getting dizzy. All the while, Zuko wore a sly smirk on his face, knowing he'd bested Sokka. He couldn't stand it. What had he ever done to him? Why did he feel like he had to ignore him? Why did he feel like he had to humiliate him? Why was he still wearing that stupid smirk like he'd won something?

Sokka stood straight up, flipping the board over. Everyonce collectively jumped, surprised at his outburst.

"What kind of pole do you have stuck up inside of you, huh? Why won't you just let other people be equal to you, instead of acting like you're so much better than everyone else? Believe it or not, we're all not your subjects! Maybe then, you'll be able to make some actual friends instead of Suki just pitying you!"

..............................

"Zuko, your mother stayed with you so long because she pitied you, not because she loved you. To be loved, you have to be accomplished, and until you are, you don't deserve my love."

"Zuzu, you may be the CEO's son, but at the end of the day, you're still beneath everyone else. You're just some washed up kid with money. It's not like your 'friends' care about anything more than how much change you have in your pockets."

"Zuko, don't waste my time with this nonsense. I was never this uptight with my grandfather."

"SHUT UP!"  Zuko screamed, standing up even faster than Sokka. "You don't know anything about me! You've barely known me for two days and you've already made up your mind about me! I didn't ask for anything from her, and I certainly haven't asked anything from you!"

Everyone stood transfixed as Zuko stormed off, angrier than he'd ever been his life. Behind him, he could faintly hear Yue gasp at the mess Sokka had made.

"Sokka, what happened? What's wrong with Zuko?"

"Honestly? I wish I knew."