Part Fourteen

"Are you sure you've got everything, Aang?" Katara bit her nails as she surveyed their luggage in the parking lot.

Aang nodded enthusiastically. "Absolutely!"

"Nope." Toph walked forward and placed a cord in his hands. "You left your phone charger in the living room."

He beamed at her, ignoring Katara's facepalm in the background. "Oh yeah! Thanks, Toph!"

"It was awesome to see everyone!" Suki beamed, enveloping Toph in a large hug, much to her discomfort. "I know you're busy seniors and all, but don't forget to text us, alright?"

"Okay, okay! Just let me go, you hog-monkey!" Toph yelped, squirming in Suki's grasp. She finally let go, but she didn't seem all that remorseful.

"Be sure to keep your grades up, Sokka. I don't want to find out that you flunked after all the work you put in to get here," Katara insisted, fixing him with one of her famous glares.

He scoffed theatrically. "I always keep my grades up, little sister. Now, go throw up on the way home and don't worry about me."

"Hey!" Aang piped up, indignant. "Don't hurt Appa's feelings like that! He'd never want to hurt anyone!"

"It's a car, Aang!" Toph, Katara, and Sokka all snapped in unison. Aang simply ducked inside the front seat.

Katara refocused her attention back to Sokka. "I don't believe you for a second, but I trust Zuko, so I'll think you'll be alright. Listen to everything he says, got it?"

Zuko and Suki busted out laughing as Sokka bristled. "How could you trust a practical stranger more than your own flesh and blood? I can take care of myself, thanks!" He stormed off, dragging a gleeful Zuko with him, but he still waved goodbye as the car sputtered into the distance.

Once they finally reached their dorm, Suki went back to her own, stammering something about texting Yue. Sokka made a face. "I don't need to hear all that oogie nonsense," he griped.

Suki rolled her eyes. "You're just embarrassed that you walked in on us making out. Don't be such a toddler."

Sokka went completely red in the face, and it only get redder at the sight of Zuko trying to hold in his laughter. He huffed. "Go text your girlfriend or whatever, see if I care." Suki slammed the door, and Sokka continued to drag Zuko into their dorm, their faces both red for entirely different reasons.

..................

It was the first day back from winter break, and, as usual, Zuko was up and ready to go at dawn. He slipped on the red leather jacket Suki had given him for his birthday, and checked himself in the mirror. It actually...looked nice. Red was a tricky color for him to wear what with his eye.

He swung open Sokka's bedroom door, expecting to see him just about to leave, fully dressed and his bag filled with supplies. Instead, he found Sokka still tangled under the covers. His hair was down and in front of his eyes, and he groaned the moment Zuko opened the door.

"Rise and shine, Sokka!" he beamed.

His greeting was met with a shoe just barely missing his face. "Wake me up in ten years," Sokka grumbled into his pillow.

"Come on, you have a lecture in a half an hour. Mr. Pakku's going to dance on your grave if you're late to one more."

"Maybe then I can finally get some sleep."

Zuko sighed. He didn't want it to have to come to this, but he had no other choice. "Fine, but remember, you brought this on yourself." In one swift motion, he whipped the covers completely off of the mattress, causing Sokka to gasp and shiver.