Part Eleven

P.S. Because I am uncultured swine, I've only had ramen once or twice, so if I butcher any of the items on the noodle shop menu, feel free to let me know. I tried, I promise.

"Did he really stick two fish hooks in his thumb?" Yue was laughing hysterically.

"He really did!" Suki exclaimed. "Don't tell him I told you, though. He's a little sensitive," she whispered dramtically.

Yue giggled, and it was the most adorable sound she had ever heard. Luckily, she was able to chalk up her blush to the cold.

The two of them were out on their morning walk, a routine they'd perfected over the last few weeks. It gave them a chance to talk before they went about their busy schedules, and Hahn was an extremely heavy sleeper, so Yue never got any blowback from him for it.

Yue's hair whipped around in the wind, matching the snowy scenery perfectly. "It sounds like you've known him for a long time. Did you meet him in high school?"

Suki nodded. "Yeah. We didn't start out as friends, though. He was honestly a jerk, saying things like, oh, girls can't play sports, leave it to the men, etc. Then I pounded a volleyball into his face and now we're friends."

"Really? It was that simple?"

She shrugged. "Sometimes someone just needs a good smack to the face for them to change their tune."

Yue shook her head, smiling to herself. "I don't think I would ever be able to do something like that." There was a sad tone to her voice.

"Why not? I know it seems harsh, but they will thank you for it later."

She sighed, and sat down on one of the chairs set up around the courtyard. She then gestured for Suki to sit down in the chair opposite her. Suki obliged, taking a sip of her coffee.

"When I was a kid, I used to get teased a lot for my hair. My hair isn't dyed, you know; I was born with a genetic condition. Everyone said it was weird, and that I looked like a grandmother. My parents offered to get it dyed if I wanted, and I agreed. I had it dyed several times, but it never stayed, so I was stuck with my natural color. I was also a rich girl, so some people automatically assumed that I was mean. They just..." Yue bit her lip, searching for the right words. "They tripped me up, they teased me, but I never said anything. My hair doesn't bother me as much now, but that kind of behavior had already been engrained in me. I just let people walk all over me, and I wish I had the strength to stand up to people, like you do."

Yue's somber expression broke Suki's heart, and she immediately took Yue's hands in her own, gazing into her bright blue eyes.

"You have nothing to be ashamed of. You're perfect just the way you are. You're just being empathetic, and there isn't anything wrong with that."

Yue's eyes suddenly began to swim with tears. She quickly let go of Suki's hands, tears running down her face. 

She frowned in confusion. "Yue, are you oka-"

"I'm-I'm sorry!" She quickly ran off, leaving Suki to stew in her confusion.

..............

"Love is dead. The world is nothing but an endless vortex of pain and suffering."

"That's nice." Zuko tapped his foot, not really paying attention to what Suki was telling him over the phone. He was standing outside a noodle shop, waiting in the snow for Sokka, Katara, Aang, and Toph, to arrive. They'd arranged a date a couple days prior, to just hang out and get to know one another. For some reason he couldn't fathom, he was incredibly nervous.