Chapter 27

So I hope you guys like this chapter! :D Happy belated New Year to everyone! :D Please vote and comment for it! ;D I really hope you guys like this chapter and that you'll continue to enjoy it. :D I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please vote and comment to identify yourselves to me! :D Thanks! :D Picture of Raven on the side (sadly, minus the changes) 

Chapter 27

                It felt like it had only been five minutes that she had been asleep when someone started shaking her. Still half-asleep, Kayla jerked up one hand and punched blindly at her assailant. To her utmost surprise, her hand connected with something much harder than flesh; it was more like metal.

                “Ow!” Kayla yelped, opening her eyes fully.

                Dahlia stood next to her, surprise on her face. As far as what Kayla could see, she had punched Dahlia in the arm that was covered by her black funeral dress. Her hand ached which was definitely not the way Kayla wanted to wake up, especially since Dahlia’s skin should not feel like diamonds.

                “What was that?” she demanded, shaking her hand furiously.

                Dahlia grinned suddenly, looking amused. “I guess Mitchell’s stuff really works,” she replied, tugging at the knee-length black dress that she was wearing. “He made it for me and Troy; it’s clothes that are enchanted to have the consistency of armour.”

                Kayla eyed her outfit and shook her head before swinging her legs over the side of the bed. “Maybe he anticipates you getting into more fights, decked up like a princess, rather than in actual armour.”

                Dahlia smirked, although she knew that Kayla was right. When she and Troy had left her father’s house, they had been decked up like royalty and when she had fought to help the immortals save their castle, she had also been wearing a dress. She stuck out her tongue at Kayla. “Get dressed. I’ll see you downstairs.”

                She turned and headed out. Kayla groaned but got up anyway. Apparently someone had left clothes for her while she and Dahlia had been asleep. There was a calf-length black dress laid out over the black comforter. A pair of black boots, suitable for combat, were sitting next to the bed. Tentatively, she pushed the dress with her non-aching hand and was slightly disappointed to discover that the dress felt like fabric, instead of armour. Presuming that it would be difficult for Mitchell to create a lot of armour fabric and that Troy and Dahlia’s lives were more important than hers, she quickly changed clothes and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes.

                Before she left Arulan’s room, she grabbed her velvet bag and pulled out the connector to the bangle bracelet that she still wore on her wrist. Spears were very troublesome for they were so long. Quickly, she slid the connector onto the weapon until it rested at the place where she gripped it. She slid on the belt that she had been wearing the day before and buckled Excalibur to it, fastening her staff to the other side. With a nervous glance around, she shoved the velvet bag and its remaining contents- several potion bottles, the light crystal, a box of enchanted powder- into the pocket of her dress.

                Exiting Arulan’s room, she saw that both Troy and Romulus had left, so she headed down the staircase by herself.

                It was silent, like the entire Elementary had been emptied earlier. But the silence was rather fitting to the respect that they had to pay to the dead. The Elementary looked the same as it always had, with its endless halls and countless rooms. But things had changed from how it had been six months previously. Now the trainees clustered in larger groups like they were scared to be alone. The few training practices that Kayla had attended recently, all of them had been training like they were fighting for their lives. As much as she appreciated their increased devotion, it had been a little sad to know how much Varmer was affecting their lives.