Chapter 16

Here's the next chapter! :D I hope you guys like it! :D Please vote and comment for it to identify yourselves to me! :D I'm still dedicating the chapters to my loyal readers so please vote and comment for it! :D Picture of Sapphire on the side. :D

Chapter 16 

                Tamarak left Arulan’s chambers without another word. None of them, not even Arulan, tried to stop him. It was obvious that he needed some alone time and that was the only thing that they could give him. Hunter followed him, after a slight hesitation, to give him someone to talk to; the two guys were close.

                After giving Tamarak enough time to get far enough away from them, Sapphire got up and left too; her cheeks flushed scarlet. After a silent staring contest, Kayla scrambled to her feet and raced after her friend, closely followed by Dahlia. Sympathizing was not Kayla’s strong suit, but she was Sapphire’s best friend. On the other hand, Dahlia could probably make Sapphire feel better, although she was not particularly close to the other Magician of Water.

                The second they reached the landing, Sapphire turned away from the other two, her shoulders shaking as she tried to repress her tears. Kayla rubbed her back gently, trying to massage the tension out of her shoulders.

                “It’s okay, Sapphire,” Kayla said gently. “You heard what he said. If you want to return to Tam, he’ll be there for you.”

                “That’s not it,” Sapphire said, in between gulping back tears. “He’s right; I was being rotten to him. I thought I hid it from him, but he knew, all along, that that Romulus was… was…”

                “Interfering,” Dahlia suggested, digging out the rag that she used for cleaning her daggers and handing it to Sapphire to dry her tears.

                “And he let me down so nicely,” Sapphire continued, hiccupping. “He’s such a great guy… he didn’t have to break up with me, but he did it, for me, not for himself, so that I could make my own decision and not feel obliged to stay with him for the sake of staying with him. I don’t deserve him.”

                Kayla patted her back, feeling only part of Sapphire’s anguish. At least for her, Kayla’s emotions had always been clear-cut. She had only fallen in love once and that was with Benjamin. She’d never suffered the indecision of falling for two guys at the same time.

                “It’s not your fault, Sapphire,” Dahlia told her firmly. “Sure, Tam’s a great guy, but you can’t force yourself to stay with someone if you don’t love them. No one owes it to someone else to be their girlfriend.”

                “I do love him,” Sapphire protested. “But-”

                “You love Romulus too?” Kayla prompted.

                Sapphire gave a half-shrug, wiping at her tears. “Tam was right; we do have a history. I was twelve when I left the Isle of Avalon, remember? Romulus and I had been friends for years. He asked me not to leave, but I had to; it was my duty to go to Paris. It was the hardest thing he had ever had to do: he was the one who removed my memories and made me forget about the Elementary, forget about him. He spent six years not knowing where I was, what I was doing, whether I was alive. And when I returned to the Elementary…”

                “You were with Tamarak,” Kayla said softly.

                “I made him into the hard person that he is,” Sapphire told them. “And both he and I know that if I hadn’t left, Tamarak wouldn’t be here and I’d probably be with him.”