Chapter 41

I'm so sorry in the major delay in the update! I had a dance workshop that spanned two weeks, then a competition that took one week and then school exams that spanned three weeks. I promise that I will try my hardest to continue to update the chapters and I'm so glad that all of you are still reading my works and want me to continue. Please continue voting and commenting! :D Picture of Jenna on the side :D

Chapter 41

                Benjamin hurried down the hall towards his room, clutching the drawing he had made of Kayla in his right hand. It felt like he was betraying Varmer to actually do the drawing. Although there was nothing wrong with making a sketch of his wife, the fact that she had left them meant that he should have nothing left to do with her.

                Despite the weird feelings that were rolling around in his stomach, Benjamin couldn't bring himself to destroy the sketch. He had learned how to draw a long time ago, when they had still been together. She hadn't had the patience to learn how to draw, but she had loved seeing his drawings. He had made countless sketches of her that he hadn't had the heart to destroy after she'd left. But he hadn't been able to touch a pencil since.

                Did that mean that he'd finally gotten over her?

                Benjamin doubted it. Halting outside his bedroom door, he lightly traced his finger over her face. Despite being out of practice, Benjamin was a good artist and a black-and-white photograph of Kayla stared back at him. Even her eyes looked alive. He had drawn her the day they had gotten engaged; it was the last day that they had been genuinely happy together. He was fearful that she had only married him in the end to make it look like everything was normal. After all, she had run away the night of their marriage.

                Sighing heavily, he reached for the doorknob on his door. If drawing Kayla had reassured Dr Lucy that he was alright again, it had only assured him that he had never gotten over her. Now he had to hide the drawing before Varmer or any one of his loyal minions found it.

                Just as he opened his door, Leo appeared out of thin air and grabbed his arm. Without any explanation, they teleported into the armoury where thousands of magicians were suiting up in full battle armour and staffs. Benjamin didn't react; he and Leo had worked together enough times for the former not to be worried when the teleported pulled a stunt like that.

                "What's going on?" Benjamin demanded, hastily shoving the pencil drawing out of side in the pocket of his pants.

                "The spy told us that the Avalon rebels' guard is down tonight," Leo explained. "She, that hybrid diviner, will likely be too busy to predict our attack, especially because Varmer literally just decided to send the army. They won't be expecting it. Also, our spy has confirmed Kayla's failure to make it through their House of Glamours so they will not be trying to rescue the other Immortals any time soon. Zara, Tia and I are to head out with the attacking force. You and Ellie are to stay here and patrol. I'll give both of you temporary portals in case you need them. You know how they work, right?"

                Leo rattled all of this off at top speed, without bothering to take a breath. Benjamin was unfazed by the speed; they had all trained to absorb information as quickly as it was related. The only thing that bothered him was the division of the guard. Varmer seriously wanted their attack to defeat the rebels for the guard had never been split up before. Even when the guard had gone off in search of Troy, Dahlia and the others, Varmer's safety had been guaranteed by the army and the temporary guard members. Now, he would only have two protectors: Ellie and Benjamin.