17 | Facade

Hundreds of lanterns lit up both sides of the main road, leading to the center most part of the village where a small stage is erected especially for the occasion. A group of performers are dancing to the lively music, their steps precise and every stunt is followed with cheers and applauds from the crowd.

Save for the shinobi deployed for guarding the village, almost every citizen of Konoha are gathered in this part of the town, either watching the breathtaking performance on stage or strolling along the stalls that are selling all kinds of food and trinkets along the streets.

The celebration--or whether they should hold one--for this particular occasion had been a hot topic in at least the last two meetings of the clan heads. Some of them argued that with the current situation the village is at, it'd be best if they postpone the celebration this year. In that way, they could save funds and at the same time, allocate the resources and the time they would spend on preparing for the celebration into further strengthening the defenses of the village instead. The rest of the clan heads had a differing opinion though. They'd countered that it doesn't have to be a grandiose celebration and just a simple one will do.

"It wouldn't hurt to celebrate from time to time," Hashirama had said back then, effectively concluding their latest meeting. Tobirama had already anticipated this decision of his because the two of them had already talked about it privately beforehand. He knew that the true reason behind this decision is that, the celebration is the most effective way to boost the morale of the people. This special day marks the founding anniversary of the village but it has a deeper meaning: it's a concrete reminder that different clans could actually live together in peace. Tobirama couldn't agree more.

Konoha was founded exactly one year today. So much has happened ever since then and even though there are a lot of things that they should be worrying about right now—for instance, the possible attack on the village—there's still so much to be thankful for. And oh, winter is coming to an end. 

Among the bustling people on the main street, three figures conspicuously standout from the crowd. Mito, who is dressed in a green kimono and her red hair tied in a neat and elegant way, is simply stunning. Walking alongside her are the Senju brothers, the older one on her left while the younger one is on her right. With this 'formation', the two men look very much like her body guards, with their burly forms and firm muscles that seem to be highlighted even more through their respective kimono. Hashirama's long hair is tied up in a ponytail, and tonight his usual air of being the Hokage is gone and replaced by a somewhat lighter, carefree aura. The same goes with Tobirama who looks a few years younger without his usual scowl.

"So," Tobirama says in a tone that means business, as if he's discussing the details of an S-rank mission to his team. He gestures his hand in front of him as if to signal the other two to stop on their tracks, too. "Where do we start?"

"Food," Hashirama replies almost immediately, Mito nods eagerly in agreement.

And so, the three of them started their night checking out the food stalls in the area. Since their very first stall, Hashirama had clearly declared his goal to visit every stall and taste every food they have to offer. (Much to his disappointment, they're still on their fifth stall, out of maybe thirty to forty stalls, an hour later.)

"It's clearly impossible," Tobirama tells him firmly, shoving the last of his takoyaki into his own mouth.

Hashirama shook his head in a firm refusal—the only rebuttal he could give him now because his mouth is still full with food. 

Before he could finish chewing, Tobirama added, "It's not impossible, per se, but it will take us the whole night until tomorrow morning, at the very least." He said this in a condescending manner like he usually does, and Hashirama, the stubborn older brother that he is, chewed even faster just so he could counter sooner.