Chapter Twenty-Two: Mini Pile

Start from the beginning

“I have an idea,” he brightened up, “Let’s go on a vacation this summer, just you and me or we could invite Tristan and Kyla,” he grinned, “Just to get some time together before college.”

If I were to ever be accepted to that freshman program, I wouldn’t have time to experience a summer vacation like what he’s planning. I would be traveling away before we could even hop on a car to whatever spectacular thing he had planned out.

I wouldn’t be experiencing those cliché last summer trips with my boyfriend.

But with the smile he was giving me, I thought that maybe I could push the idea of telling him to the back of my head, “I’d like that.”

*

*

*

You could say that I was slowly being warmed up to Jasper’s crowd. At least I no longer felt like an awkward mess while standing beside him as he interacted with his other friends.

Jasper then thrusts a cup of beer into my hand, giving me something to occupy myself with as we strolled along the house. Getting greeted by a few people along the way.

“Just a normal day for the both of us,” he muttered, guiding me through the huge amount of people, “Are you enjoying yourself?”

“Yeah,” I nodded as I subtly pointed to the table where all the foods are located. He laughed and maneuvered us to it, falling in line as grabbed our plates.

Just then, somebody climbed up to the stacked coolers, yelling at everybody to shut up. We turned to him and he raised his cup, starting to propose a toast.

“This is for Jasper,” he grinned. Turning to my boyfriend, his eyes widened in shock as he started to sprint his way to him, shoving and pushing the people that’s in his way, an act of desperation to make the boy stop talking.

“You’re really great, man, who else could have…” before he could even finish his sentence. Jasper tackled him to the ground, pulling him off of the coolers. Both were unharmed, but when I slowly approached the mini pile they made, I stared at Jasper, waiting for an explanation.

Kyla cautiously made her way towards my side as Tristan helped his best friend up along with the other guy. He reprimanded Jasper, but the latter only huffed in annoyance as he helped the poor boy he attacked.

“You alright?” Kyla questioned and I gave her a numb confirmation that I was. What was running inside my mind was what made Jasper panic like that.

“Don’t do that again,” Tristan warned under his breath, “You both could have gotten hurt.”

“Yeah,” Jasper murmured as he gave the guy a pat on the shoulder, “Sorry about that.”

“It’s alright,” he waved off, dusting himself off, “Next time, don’t man handle me.”

With no hard feelings between them, they quickly forgave each other. I, on the other hand, still stared at him with outmost curiosity and worry.

“Jasper,” I finally called out, making people’s attention turn to me, “What was he saying?”

All color drained from his face as he opened his mouth to explain, but he quickly closed when he couldn’t find the words. I couldn’t get mad at him if he’s trying to hide a secret, since I am too, but I don’t think I would go to an extent where I might physically injure my friend just to keep it hidden.

“Boy’s in trouble,” somebody hollered from the crowd, easing the tension a bit. People gradually came back to what they were doing before the sudden scene caused by Jasper.