Chapter Twenty-Two: Mini Pile

I’ve become accustomed to sitting with the cheerleaders to the point they don’t phase me anymore. Jasper was right, they may be quirky and a bit crazy, but they were genuine for the most parts. They were friendly with us and even invited us to the outings they usually do.

One of the girls raced from the outside and quickly sat down on the table, grinning towards everybody, “Barbeque at my place tomorrow.”

I saw Jasper and Tristan slowly approached our table, both of them holding two trays each. Smiling in appreciation as he set down my meal on the table, the girl once again told them about her plans.

“Let me guess,” Jasper said, leaning against the chair that was next to mine, “The parents are out of the house?”

She nodded as she turned to some of the varsity, requesting for help in getting the food drinks for the said party.

“Are we going?” I asked Jasper, turning to him as I munched on the sandwich he bought for me.

Smiling down towards me, he slung an arm around my shoulder, “Only if you want to.”

When my eyes lifted up towards Kyla, she was giving me a pointed look, before turning back to her boyfriend. My best friend was partially pressuring me to tell Jasper about the freshman program, but I kept insisting that it was nothing of importance.

Alright, so maybe I should tell him, but she should just let me do it when I know that we’re both ready.

Since it was finally Friday, the boys were freed from their training and they were allowed to go on their merry way. Jasper decided that it would be the perfect opportunity to have a fancy date, but I, on the other hand decided to just hang out in a chill environment.

So that’s how we ended up inside his room with him sprawled out on the floor as I used one of his pillows as a chair while I continuously flipped through my notebooks so I could get my homework done.

Jasper suddenly popped his head over the book I was currently holding and he reached out a hand to snatch it away from me, “Would you please stop working for a second?”

Blinking towards him, I dropped my pen to the floor of his room and leaned towards him, “Alright then.”

“I want to catch up,” he mumbled, rolling to his stomach, “It feels like I haven’t seen you in a week.”

“You have,” I pointed out, “But not as much as you used to.”

“I missed you then,” he muttered, even though it’s lighthearted, there was still a meaning in there.

I wonder how much we’ll miss each other if we have to move miles away from each other after we graduate. That’s if we still stay together after high school.

And here’s the disadvantages of being a pessimist.

Jasper noticed my silence and he reached out to take my hand in his, “Please stop worrying about it, I’ll make time for us.”

He’s gotten the wrong idea. He thought that I was depressed because I’ve seen less and less of him, it may be a contributing factor to my dampened mood, but the thought of the freshman program was running inside my head, making it impossible to concentrate on anything else when I’m with him.

“We survived three years without talking each other,” he tried to give me an encouraging smile, “This is nothing compared to it.”

With my eyes focusing to his features, I tried to commit it to my memory. How his lips will press into a slight frown when he’s upset or how his eyebrows will scrunch up in a funny way when he’s thinking too hard.