Chapter Nineteen: New Year's Fireworks

After that day, something between Jasper and I changed. I don’t know if it’s for the better or not, but our bond was stronger than ever before.

As tradition calls, my family went on a long road trip to my grandparents’ house to celebrate the New Year’s. This is the first time I actually cared about being separated with him for a long time, and it was excruciating to hear his voice from the other line of the phone.

“You still there?” I could hear him yelling, trying to talk over the muffled music.

He told me himself that he was at a New Year’s Party that his teammate was throwing, but instead of counting down the minutes with the other guests, he locked himself inside the most isolated bathroom that he could find and called me.

“Yeah,” I whispered, leaned against the headboard of the bed, “I’m still here.”

Even though we couldn’t see each other, I can practically see him smiling, and that was the only comfort I needed.

My family was downstairs, having a feast of their own, while I excused myself to talk to Jasper, waiting for it to strike twelve in order to say goodbye to one of the most productive year we have ever experienced.

When it was only a few ticks away, I could hear yells from Jasper’s side, screaming out the number of seconds left, and the more it approached one, the louder it became, but at the same time, Jasper’s breathing became heavier.

I was hoping that he was wanting the same thing I was wishing for right now. The wonderful New Year’s Kiss.

“Happy New Year!” cheers sounded and I closed my eyes, hearing Jasper’s soft greeting to me which I returned with much gratefulness.

“I’ll see you when you get back,” he assured and I hummed in confirmation, feeling sleep marching up to my body.

We said our goodbyes before finally hanging up, just as when I placed my phone down on the bedside table, the door clicked open and came in Celeste, beaming up at me as she rubbed her growing belly.

“Mind if I stay the night with my favorite sister-in-law?” she laughed, sitting on the bed next to me.

“I’m your only sister-in-law,” I pointed out, shaking my head as I scooted so she could have enough space.

“Exactly,” she winked as I shifted around to put the lower half of my body under the blankets, “Was that Jasper on the phone?”

“Yeah,” I confirmed, “He’s at a New Year’s party.”

She blinked at me for a moment, before tilting her head to the side in question, a bit of concern shining in her eyes, “And you’re not worried?”

“About what?” I inquired, pulling my knees up to my chest.

After a short while, her lips twitched to a comforting smile as she stood up, “Nothing,” she shook her head, “You must trust him a lot.”

“Because he has given me no reason not to,” I explained, “There’s no need to think of it any other way.”

She clasped her hands together and let out a small laugh, “Young love, so innocent and sweet.”

“You were once young and in love too,” I muttered, laying down on the bed, “And news flash, I’m not in love with Jasper.”

“But it brought me so much confusion and hurt,” she said, it was as if she was warning me, “Though, after everything, I thought it was worth.”

Her gaze was looking down on me, but I saw right through her. Instead of threatening me about how this will end, she was sharing her experience. She was preparing me for what was to come, letting me brace myself for the hardship I may go through.