Chapter Twenty-Three: We're Not Romeo and Juliet

My finger was hovering over the enter button of my laptop as my brain tried to reason itself out with me. Just one press of the button will send my confirmation letter out and that means I’ve officially accepted the freshman program.

It also meant that I said no to whatever summer Jasper was planning.

“Savannah, could you please help me with my packing?” Celeste knocked on my door, gently cracking it open, “We have to get everything ready for our flight tomorrow.”

She took one look at my face for her to realize there was something wrong. Clicking her tongue, she shook her head and completely entered my room, “Let me guess this one, boy trouble?”

“Kind of,” I sighed, turning my laptop so the screen was shown to her. She squinted a bit as she read the words and a small smile was creeping onto her face. She was proud of what she had seen, but she was still aware that this was upsetting me.

“Grab your jacket, we’ll go for a walk,” she said, heading to the door, “My sister-in-law is much more important than packing.”

Closing my laptop, I quickly stood up and took my knitted cardigan from the back of my desk chair as I followed her out. Drew popped his head from his room and caught the sight of the two of us going down the stairs, “Where are you two going?”

Celeste reached out her hand towards her husband and beckoned for him to come near. He looked back inside the room, probably contemplating if he should leave whatever mess that exploded inside there, but of course, he went with his wife.

“Now where are we going?” he repeated as he held Celeste’s hand in his. I can never ignore how in love these two are, it was sickening yet sweet at the same time.

“We’re going to tell Savannah a little thing we learned while we were in high school,” she replied as the two of them led the way while I obediently trailed along. She took a quick detour to the living room first, grabbing her bag before continuing on the journey.

We passed by Jasper’s house and I frowned, the reminder of my decision lugging with me as I continued to follow these two. They were chatting to themselves, often shooting a quick look towards me, making sure I was still there.

The streets got busier as we walked on and the rising skyscrapers were coming into view. They entered one of the buildings and I gulped as I follow, knowing this all too well. Celeste shot a smile towards the guard who bowed his head respectfully towards her.

“What are we doing at your old place, Celeste?” I questioned, looking around the fancy lobby. She winked at me as she asked for a piece of paper from the reception desk. She handed it to me and I examined it, “It’s blank.”

“Pretend that’s an acceptance letter from the university,” she told me, “Now what would have you felt?”

“Pretty excited,” I shrugged, completely lost in this situation.

She shook her head and plucked the paper from my hands, “When I got mine, I was scared.”

“Are we going to relive your life or something?”

“She’s got it!” she clapped, removing her hand from Drew’s arm to grab mine, “I believe teaching in actions is much better than words.”

We then got dragged out and continued our quick descent to wherever else Celeste decided to take us.

I don’t know how long our adventure was, but I was soon becoming familiar to the surroundings. They halted right in front of a medium sized house with a white picket fence protecting it from the world. It had a rusting bench on the front porch and the grass grew tall with the years it must have been deserted from.