Chapter Twenty-Eight: Spilled Coke

"Are you going to tell me anything at all?" I questioned as I stood next to Kyla who was barking commands at the people who was helping us to fix up the gym for the prom.

My best friend turned to me with a tight lipped smile, giving me a happy yet annoying reply, "Nope."

When she saw my pouting expression, she grinned before wrapping an arm around my shoulder, giving me tight squeeze, "Oh come on, don't give me that look."

"Fine," sighed, "I trust you."

"There we go," she cheered before releasing me from her grasp, "Now after this, come with me to look for my prom dress."

Don't even remind me of that stinking prom dress. In the end, I left empty handed in that chain of stores that Jasper brought me, it wasn't because they were all horrendous, but it was because nothing was better than the dress I saw in the first shop.

God damn it, I wanted that dress!

She noticed the frown and her face also fell. I told her about it, and even though she was sweet enough to tell me that she would loan me the money so I could buy it, I quickly reminded her that she needed her own money for her dress.

And that placed us back to square one.

"I'm pretty sure the mall is a cheaper place," she said, walking to the bleachers where she left her bag.

Nodding I adjusted the strap of my own bag on my shoulder before turning to the students who were just finishing up with the cleaning for the day, "Good work, everybody, we'll see you again tomorrow."

We received their collective goodbyes before the both of us started to walk out. The two of us paused in our steps when we were in the parking lot as we saw Jasper and Tristan, leisurely leaned against my car as they chatted without a care in the world.

When they noticed us standing like idiots right there, they gave us each a smile, "Took you girls long enough."

We exchanged looks before giving them a questioning look, "What are you guys doing here?"

"Overheard that you two were going to the mall," Tristan replied, scratching the back of his head, "We were wondering if we could go along since we also have to buy our tuxes."

Kyla lifted a hand and allowed it to zoom really close to her boyfriend's face before giving him a flat, "No."

Certainly, Tristan was not expecting that rejection from her as his jaw slowly dropped open, "What?"

"Our prom dress is a surprise from you boys so there's no way you're coming along with us," she explained, crossing her arms over her chest.

Tristan groaned in exasperation before gesturing to Jasper and I, "But Savannah allowed Jasper to come with her when she was scouting for dresses."

"And that's why she didn't buy anything that day," she pointed out before shooing them, "It's a girls' shopping spree."

I held back a laugh as I saw Tristan's face turn into a childish pout, before sullenly turning around and slowly walking back to wherever his car was. Jasper chuckled openly at his best friend, shaking his head before approaching me, "I'll see you when you get home?"

Nodding, I showed him a small smile, "You better go and cheer him up."

"Got it," he grinned, leaning down to give my cheek a kiss - evidently making me blush - before he started to follow Tristan who was already halfway down the parking lot.

Turning to Kyla who was now staring at her boyfriend with amusement, I gave her a look. She noticed and shrugged, "I want to surprise him."

"Poor boy," I muttered, walking around to reach the driver's side as I unlocked the vehicle, "I'm pretty sure he's currently troubling about which colored tie he would get for you."