35 - better for you

Start from the beginning

"Seriously, Calum. Shut the hell up," He says in a demanding voice. I'm a little taken back by the anger in his voice. The conversation that Henry and Michael were having ceases and I see Maddie looking confused as ever.

"What are you losing?"

"Isn't that sad? Your boyfriend can't even tell you himself. He'd rather you get embarrassed in front of all of us than be a man," I say and Luke's mouth opens.

Poor Maddie looks lost. She's waiting for me to say something else which I'm gladly going to do.

Jordan has sat up a little and I glance at Luke's fingers softly rubbing her shoulder. They're so awkward, they make me want to throw up.

"Ashton! Wake up!" I shout and watch as he gets up and comes over to Maddie. As soon as he reaches her, he touches her shoulder.

I've already noticed that. He's constantly touching her.

"Tell her, mate. Tell her everything. Tell her how the past three months have been some of the best of our lives, all thanks to her," I say firmly. Ashton doesn't look at anyone and I know that he has to tell her now.

Luke tells Jordan to go outside of the room and I roll my eyes. He can make sure she doesn't hear this, but he can't erase what he's already done. Even if they end up talking, she'll find out one way or another.

I tell Jordan that she should dress a little better because the girl obviously needs some advice. Everyone flips their shit and acts like I'm the bad guy. I try to help and this is what I get.

The truth eventually comes out about our game and Maddie looks completely disgusted. What I wasn't expecting was for Ashton to be as devastated as he is. He's sobbing pitifully and apologizing to no end.

Maddie won't take it though, it's all over her face. She's done with him. Now, we can finally get back to our game. Ashton's only ahead by one point and if I'm lucky, I'll be getting one tonight.

Henry leaves with Maddie pretty soon and the four of us are left in the room. Luke's not saying anything and Michael's hanging his head between his legs.

Ashton's crying pathetically now and he rushes out of the room without saying anything to anyone.

"Well, I got-"

"That was so low, Calum," Michael speaks up. I stare at him and he shakes his head, disappointingly. "That was just really, really low."

*maddie pov*

Peter asked to hang out today and I said yes, because why not?

Our breakup was mutual in a way. I guess you could say I wanted it more than him, but he acted otherwise. His texts will come every once in a while and I usually just ignore them.

But today he asked to go get lunch and now I'm getting ready.

To be honest, I just hope he can help me forget about Ashton. I'm tired of thinking about Ashton twenty four seven. I'm tired of wondering if he ever thinks about me, if he cares.

My phone starts ringing and I think it's Ashton for a split second. Peter's name appears on the screen and I answer it.

"Hey," I try to smile.

"Hey, baby. You leaving?" He asks in a normal voice. He's extremely comfortable around me even after the break up and it annoys me.

"Umm, yes. I'll see you in like ten minutes!" I say as I run to get my keys.

"Alright, drive safe," He says and hangs up.

I don't turn on the radio as I drive to the restaurant we decided to go to. That turned out to be a dumb idea because I keep debating on whether or not I should go back home.