•| ⊱ NINETEEN

Start from the beginning

The princess smiled. "As I said, a new life in a new country. Certainly I made mistakes. I turned my back on my own people. I was called a traitor, a thief, a liar, a murderess. But I acted out of love." She turned to the boys and gave them a pitiful look, batting her eyelashes. Mia could feel the sorcery washing over them, taking control more firmly than ever.

"Wouldn't you do the same for someone you loved, my dears?"

"Oh, sure," Jason said.

"Okay," Leo said.

Mia couldn't help, but roll her eyes again. She was honestly getting so sick of there brainwashed minds. "You idiots really need to snap out it!"

"Guys!" Piper said frustration. "Don't you see who she is? Don't you-"

"Let's continue, shall we?" the princess said breezily. "I believe you wanted to talk about a price for the storm spirits-and your satyr."

Leo got distracted on the second floor with the appliances.

"No way," he said. "Is that an armored forge?"

Before Piper and Mia could stop him, he hopped off the escalator and ran over to a big oval oven that looked like a barbecue on steroids.

When they caught up with him, the princess said, "You have good taste. This is the H-2000, designed by Hephaestus himself. Hot enough to melt Celestial bronze or Imperial gold."

Jason flinched as if he recognized that term. "Imperial gold?" Mia placed an arm on his shoulder and for a moment he seemed to have his full attention on Hermia, but soon after it was gone.

The princess nodded. "Yes, my dear. Like that weapon so cleverly concealed in your pocket. To be properly forged, Imperial gold had to be consecrated in the Temple of Jupiter on Capitoline Hill in Rome. Quite a powerful and rare metal, but like the Roman emperors, quite volatile. Be sure never to break that blade..." She smiled pleasantly. "Rome was after my time, of course, but I do hear stories. And now over here-this golden throne is one of my finest luxury items.

Hephaestus made it as a punishment for his mother, Hera. Sit in it and you'll be immediately trapped."

Leo apparently took this as an order. He began walking toward it in a trance.

"Leo, don't!" Piper warned.

"Leo, seriously." Mia said in annoyance.

Leo blinked. "How much for both?"

"Oh, the seat I could let you have for five great deeds. The forge, seven years of servitude. And for only a bit of your strength-" She led Leo into the appliance section, giving him prices on various items.

Piper instantly went after them, but not before telling Mia she had to try and reason with Jason. Hermia didn't know why it had to be her, but maybe Piper knew something Mia didn't. Hermia pulled him aside and slapped him across the face.

"Ow," he muttered sleepily. "What was that for?"

"For being an idiot who needs to snap out of it!" Mia hissed.

"What do you mean?"

"Can't you see she's charmspeaking you. Can't you feel it or are you really that brainwashed?"

He knit his eyebrows. "She seems okay."

Hermia rolled her eyes as she held on to his shoulders. With one move he was looking into her eyes. "Well, she's not! Piper said she shouldn't even be alive! She said something about being married to Jason. The other Jason, not you. I honestly don't even know what that means, but I have a feeling she should be dead."