1. The Move

I'm not sure why my mother ever decided to move to Forks, Washington. It's gloomy, the skies were always cloudy, and it almost never fails to rain. The forest that surrounds it makes it even more melancholic. I'm just glad I am only bound here for one more year, and I'm free to go off to college, although I'm not sure which to choose.

  When we passed the sign greeting us, I didn't feel very welcome. The car ride was silent, my mother was never one for small talk...or talk at all. I slumped in my seat, staring at her in the mirror. Her eyes were droopy, and dark circles were ingrained into her face. We didn't take any breaks, all the way from Nevada to Washington. I was bored out of my mind, I sighed and looked out my window. Trees, pine trees maybe? Grey skies, very different from the bright sunny rays in Nevada.

  Finally we reached the makings of a town, some stores here and there, a neighborhood, and a highschool not far off. The car pulled into the second street of the neighborhood, and slowly went past a couple of houses. It stopped at a two-story, blue house. I stared at it, at least it was a step up from the apartment we all lived in. Dad...it was the first time he came across my mind since..

      "Here we are,'' My mother spoke, she snapped me back. I shifted in my seat and nodded. I unbuckled my seat belt, and turned towards the door.

      "Alright.'' I softly said, I opened my door, and stepped out, wobbling in the process.

   I took in the scent of wood, and fresh rain, something I'm probably going to have to get used to. I looked around, nobody was outside, there must be some type of town meeting. I chuckled to myself, and popped the trunk. The only thing I brought were clothes, my mother said that we would get everything else we need soon. Guess I'm sleeping on the floor.

       "(Y/N), don't stay up late tonight, you have school," My mother said as she grabbed her own bag of clothes. She slammed the trunk, and looked at me to see if I understood.

       "Yeah, I know," My voice was somewhat laced with annoyance, but I kept it under control. I walked on the path leading up to the dark red door.

  A dark red door, and light blue exterior, my mother sure knew how to pick 'em. I opened up the door, and it creaked open slowly and hit the wall.

I took a step inside, a hallway with stairs on my right. A door beside me, and further down an opening, most likely leading to the living room.

"Your room is upstairs." My mother pushed past me and walked behind the staircase to her room. I bit my lip, and walked up stairs.

  I did not feel safe walking up those steep stairs, the rail looked about ready to break off, I stepped carefully up until I reached the top. There were 3 doors, I'm assuming one must be mine. It's just a long hallway with a door at the end, and two to the right hand side.

  I walked tiredly to the end of the hallway, it was probably 7pm by the looks of it out the window, then again in Forks you can hardly tell. I opened up the door to a room. It was the same size as the one in our apartment, which comforted me slightly. There was a twin sized bed there, most likely left from the previous owner. I threw my clothes to the side, and plopped down, the bed sunk a great deal below me. It's broken, but at least it's better than the floor.

  I slid my legs onto the bed, and laid down, my (h/c) hair sprawled out. I stared at the ceiling, the blank ceiling, and my mind started to wander. I began thinking about this move, and why we did. The choices I had made leading up to this, disappointing ones. I had begun to doze off before I knew it, my breathing became relaxed, and my eyes drooped. Soon enough I was asleep.

-----

  The morning light shone as much as it could through my windows, I of course was already awake before that, much earlier. I had experienced a nightmare near 4:00 in the morning and decided it wasn't worth going back to sleep. I scooted off my bed, and found where I dropped my clothes last night. I knelt down, and zipped open the bag, ignoring the cold floor boards. I shuffled through it some, finding some jeans and a black t-shirt to wear. Nothing that would make me stand out.