We slipped through the line and entered into the dark gymnasium, balloons and banners were hanging everywhere, there was even a smoke machine that covered the floor with a thin layer of fog and beach balls were being swatted around in the air from all directions. 

"Gabrio?" Someone called out and for a moment I was worried it was going to be Desiree Allen, but it was Izzy, his younger sister who I had met at the office and seen only in passing around the school. She was wearing a simple but elegant cream colored dress that reached halfway up her thighs. 

Gabe stepped forward and made a show of trying to pull the bottom of his sister's dress down further. "What are you doing out in public looking like this? Did mom approve of this short ass dress?" 

Izzy swatted him away and scowled at her older brother, then turned to look at me with a gentle, but cautious, smile, "I don't know why you choose to hang out with this one,"

Gabe reached out to ruffle his sisters hair but she successfully ducked out of the way, muttering something about killing him in his sleep before rushing away. Pepper and Kale had already made their way to the middle of the dance floor so Gabe grabbed my hand and pushed his way through the crowd to join them. 

For what felt like two hours, at least, we danced non stop. I especially enjoyed the slow dances when Gabe would pull me in close, his hands daringly low but never pushing his limits. He had even built up enough courage to plant a soft kiss on the side of my neck, but he never tried to kiss me. 

"I need water!" Pepper yelled at me over the blaring music and the four of us linked arms and headed out of the sea of dancing students. We made our way to the gold, glittery tables that had punch, cookies, water and some cupcakes displayed. 

"Macy! Pepper!" I heard Jasmine scream before she was wrapping her arms around both of our necks and pulling us into a big hug. I could smell the booze, it almost stung my nose. Jasmine let go of us and smiled, she was drunk obviously. 

"You look great Jaz," Pepper said, fluffing out the bottom of Jasmine's extremely short, pink dress. Her top was barely hanging on, if she bent over too far she would fall out and flash everyone at the dance. Danny was suddenly behind her, his face a little flush as well. How had they gotten past the breathalyzers? 

"I love your dress," Jasmine yelled, stretching out the word 'dress' for way too long, "much better than freshman year," 

My mood instantly soured. Why did Jasmine constantly feel the need to bring up Pepper's weight when she knew how much she battelled with it herself? Pepper gripped my hand and squeezed, if we weren't at the last Homecoming dance we'd ever attend I would be encouraging my best friend to beat Jasmine to a pulp. 

"You're absolutely beautiful," Kale piped in, swooping in to save us both with a glass of water and kissing Pepper on the cheek. Pepper's mood also shifted, she turned towards Kale and thanked him for the water, ignoring anything Jasmine had to say after that. 

Gabe had reached out and shook Danny's hands but Danny was only staring at me. His eyes were darker than usual, or maybe it was just the lack of lighting in here. There was an awkward moment of silence before Jasmine finally opened her mouth again. 

"It's so nice of you to put together that charity thing, Mace," She slurred her words but was still able to smile at me, the devil inside her slowly emerging. I could feel the color draining from my face. Gabe hadn't seen the table that was displayed solely for his sister, Lucia, accepting any donations to help with her medical expenses. I had wanted it to remain anonymous.