🌤8🌤

I wipe down the counter

     I wipe down the counter. There’s a surprising amount of crumbs today. It’s almost as if one of the part timers just smashed cookies together and didn’t bother to clean up.

     It’s slow right now. Which is odd for a 3:30. But I suppose it’s better for me since I can use this time to study. I pull out my notes from school today and start looking over them when I hear the door open.

     I look up to greet the customer when I recognize Hyojin. I smile at her.

     “Hiya Auntie. How has your day been?”

     She smiles. "Quite nice actually. Yours?"

     I try to avoid the topic. "You want the usual?"

     She nods and I grab a mug to put together her Chai Tea Latte. I sigh at the heavenly smell the latte emits. I think I may have avoided the topic successful-

     "Are you avoiding my question? I can see it on your face." How did she- ok then. Sure. "What's wrong? Something at school?"

     I look down at the ground and shake my head. I hear the door open and almost sigh in relief. Saved by the customer- and it's Dad.

     He mouths to me "Have you told her?" and I shake my head no. He nods and comes behind the counter, leaning over, head in his hands.

     "You know, you aren't the only one who found their soulmate recently."

     And with that he leaves me with Great Aunt Hyojin. My jaw gaping open. Did he just do that? Why would he do that?

     "You know she would find out eventually." He calls to me from the back.

     "Is this so?" I look back at Hyojin who has one eyebrow raised. "Who is he? Someone from school?"

     "No."

     "Oh? How old is he?"

     "24…"

     "What does he look like? Is he handsome? Is he nice?"

     My eyes widen. Is she not mad? Is she not envious? She seems really curious. She has a smile creeping on her face.

     "Were you afraid of me finding out?"

     I don't want to lie to her so I nod my head slowly.

     "I've already found my soulmate. I'm fine now. Granted I am a little jealous, but there's no going back to the past. So. Give me details."